Have you ever seen a bamboo shoot? If yes, have you eaten one? This shoots from the bowing tree –bamboo is actually a home for a variety of nutrients as well. Furthermore, these nutrients in it are the ones that make up the health benefits of bamboo shoot. Bamboo truly is not just a plant or wood for furniture, housing, and any other uses, but it is also beneficial for the health.
In fact, the health benefits of bamboo shoot include making the immune system stronger, controlling the bad cholesterol levels in the body, and helping in weight loss. Furthermore, it also helps in getting rid of inflammation and fighting off cancer. Not only that, it is also good for the heart, contains ample amount of protein, vitamins, and minerals as well as fat. It is also a home for dietary fiber that is good for the digestion and the betterment of the health.
Bamboo Shoots: What are these?
The bamboo shoots are actually the sprouts that grow beside the plant of the bamboo. These shoots or sprouts are actually edible and belong to the subfamily of grass –Bambusoideae. As we know, bamboo is the tallest and the largest in the family of grass. The bamboo is also one of the fastest growing plants in the whole world.
The bamboo species whose sprouts can be harvested are Bambusa odashimae, Bambusa oldhamii, Bambusa vulgaris, Dendrocalamus latiflorus, Phyllostachys bambusoides, winter shoots, ‘hairy’ shoots, and Phyllostachys edulis.
All the bamboo parts can be used. In fact, in the Asian culture of various ethnic groups, they use all of its parts. The bamboo can be turned into houses, furniture, instruments, paper, and many more. Hence, bamboo truly is one of the most versatile plants we have here on earth.
Aside from the sues of the bamboo, its shoots or sprouts are also being consumed by many Asian countries like Philippines, India, Nepal, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and China. In fact, in the Chinese literature, there is a record that the humans before really eat the bamboo shoots. There are a lot of species of the bamboo; however, only a few have edible shoots.
The bamboo shoots are widely available in canned or fresh variety. The fresh shoots may actually last for about two weeks when properly stored at a low temperature. Also, it may also last if you place it away from the sunlight. If you didn’t refrigerate it well or expose it to the sun, it may become bitter. The canned variety, on the other hand, can be stored for a longer time.
Bamboo Shoots: Nutritional Facts
Studies suggest that bamboo shoots are rich in many components like minerals, fiber, carbohydrates, and proteins. However, are low in sugars and fats.
- Dietary fiber: in a 100 gram serving of the bamboo shoot, there is a 6-8 gram of dietary fiber in it.
- Vitamins and minerals: there is an ample amount of pantothenic acid, folate, niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin E, vitamin B6, and vitamin A in the bamboo shoot. Furthermore, it also has minerals like iron, selenium, manganese, copper, zinc, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium.
- Protein: in a 100 gram serving of the bamboo shoot, there are about 2-2.25 grams of protein. Not only that, it also contains 17 essential amino acids beneficial for the body.
- Fat: in a hundred grams serving of the bamboo shoot, there are only about 0.49 grams of fat. Both the unsaturated and saturated fats are in the bamboo shoots.
- Carbohydrates: there are only 3-4 grams of it in a hundred gram serving.
- Sugar: only about 2.5 grams are in a 100 gram serving of the bamboo shoot.
- Calories: there are only 20 calories in a 100 gram serving of bamboo shoot.
Health Benefits of Bamboo Shoot
Here are some of the best health benefits of bamboo shoot:
Makes the immunity stronger. The minerals and vitamins present in the bamboo shoots are beneficial for the betterment of the immune system. Furthermore, they also give effect, not just in the inner core of the body, but also the outside parts.
Helps in treating cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of bamboo shoots. In fact, studies show that the phytosterol in the bamboo shoot is beneficial in controlling the mutation of the cancer cells.
Helps in balancing the cholesterol levels. Consuming bamboo shoots is beneficial in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol in the body. Furthermore, this is since the bamboo shoots contain negligible amounts of fats and calories.
Helps in protecting the heart. Research states that the phytonutrients and phytosterol in the bamboo are beneficial in getting rid of the LDL cholesterol in the body. Furthermore, it also helps in easing the cholesterol out of the arteries.
Helps in losing weight. The sugar, carbohydrates, and calories content of the bamboo shoot is quite negligible. Hence, it is ideal for losing weight.