Did you know what is fenugreek? Have you heard, see, or tasted this before? Well, actually, this is an herb, which is essential for the health. Not just that, it may also be a good addition to various foods. Aside from the myriad of health benefits, did you know that this particular herb is also beneficial for weight loss? Yes, you read it right, fenugreek seeds for weight loss is a thing to look out for too! In the actual fact, the galactomannan (water-soluble heteropolysaccharide) present in the fenugreek seed is beneficial in reducing the weight. If you want to know more about this, and more, feel free to give this article a read!
What is the Fenugreek Seeds?
Table of Contents
In the actual fact, the fenugreek seed is an annual herb that has light green leaves and small white flowers. It is part of the pea family or the Fabaceae plant family and is also known as the Greek hay. Furthermore, the fenugreek plant grows to approximately 2-3 feet in height, and its seed pods have about 10 to 20 small, yellow-brown, flat, aromatic, and pungent seeds. This herb has a long history as a valuable ingredient in the traditional medicine, especially in India, Egypt, the Middle East, and in North Africa.
The taste of the fenugreek seeds is bitter and is quite similar to that of the celery, burnt sugar, or the maple syrup. Not just that, it is also frequently used in making medicines. Nevertheless, the fenugreek has a way more pleasant taste when you cook it. Actually, the graecum seeds of the fenugreek seeds are commonly ground and dried and are the widely used part of the herb. In addition, the leaves are also used in cooking.
You may take the seeds through the mouth or used in forming a paste, which you may apply unto the skin. This is essential in healing the inflammation. Furthermore, in the manufacturing field, the fenugreek extracts may be found in cosmetics and in soaps.
According to a book, the fenugreek oil and extract are known to have anti-tumorigenic, anti-diabetic, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties. Furthermore, a certain part in the fenugreek seed is also beneficial as a stabilizer and thickening agent for foods. It is used as a flavoring and spice in the preparation of foods too.
Nutritional Value of Fenugreek Seeds
100 gram serving of the fenugreek seeds may contain the following essential nutrients:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||6.41 grams||21%|
|Dietary Fiber||24.6 grams||65%|
|Vitamin A||60 IU||2%|
|Vitamin C||3 milligrams||5%|
Fenugreek Seeds for Weight Loss: How does it help?
Here are some of the possible reasons why the fenugreek seeds aid in losing weight:
- The fenugreek significantly reduces the consumption of calories. Furthermore, it is also essential in increasing the body’s metabolic rate. We know that the increased metabolic rate may also lead to the increase in the breakdown of calories. This may lead to the natural reduction of weight.
- The fenugreek doesn’t contain any unhealthy carbs. It, in fact, contains mild traces of healthy carbs. This, in particular, automatically prevents the unnecessary gaining of weight.
- The fenugreek has the capacity to reduce the feeling of hunger. This is actually an amazing way of healthy dieting that leads to weight loss.
- The fenugreek has 75 percent of water-soluble fibers, which is essential in easing constipation through the increase in metabolic rate of the body. This automatically triggers weight loss.
- The fenugreek seeds are rich in galactomannan, which is a healthy type of polysaccharide. This triggers the fat breakdown and the metabolism of sugar in the body. This may lead to burning calories and extra layers of fat in the body.
Fenugreek Seeds for Weight Loss: How to use it?
The fenugreek is a famous weight reducing agent, which offers a lot of benefits, just like treating diabetes and blood pressure and increasing the metabolic rate of the body. Below are some of the ways on how you can use the fenugreek for weight loss:
- Fenugreek and Honey. The fenugreek and honey tea is actually an effective herbal weight loss remedy, which may lead to a slimmer waist, and a naturally gorgeous figure.
- Fenugreek tea. This is not just essential in aiding weight loss, it is also good for diabetes. Furthermore, it also offers a lot of some other benefits like the controlled blood pressure level, and proper digestion.
- Sprouted fenugreek seeds. The fenugreek sprouts are astoundingly rich in essential vitamins and minerals. Consuming these early in the morning may help in losing weight naturally. Not just that, it also helps in improving the overall health status.
- Water soaked fenugreek. The fenugreek water is beneficial in inducing a feeling of fullness in the stomach. This is essential in reducing the feeling of hunger, in just a few days, this may show some visible results in weight loss.
- Warm fenugreek seeds. This way of using the fenugreek seeds in losing weight actually requires you do not consume any other medicines, as it is already enough!