Despite causing pain and discomfort, meningitis is providentially a treatable disease. There are many ways of treating this condition. If you are not used to using natural medicines, you can opt to use some medicines, as long as it is part of your doctor’s prescription. However, if you are into natural medications, you can always try the home remedies for meningitis. These treatments are all effective and guaranteed safe –there’s no much worry about it. So, if you want to learn more about it, read on to this article.
Meningitis: What is this?
Table of Contents
Meningitis is one of the most dreaded conditions that in this modern world face. This is not because of its terrifying side effects or symptoms, it is mainly because the illness is deadly. Meningitis is defined as the acute inflammation of the membranes that surround the spinal cord and the brain. Furthermore, as we know, the brain and the spinal cord are two of the most important and delicate parts of the body.
The inflammation of the spinal cord and brain can be because of fungal, viral, or bacterial infection, which attacks these particular membranes. Plus, in some cases, the cause of it can be some certain drugs. Conversely, the presentation of the meningitis is quite similar to that of the flu or even cold. The condition has so many symptoms and dangerous variability between each individual. The inflammation can frequently reach severe levels before the proper diagnose and treatments begin.
The infection actually occurs most often to young adults, teens, and even children. Furthermore, the older adults are also prone to the illness. Same with those who happen to have long-term health conditions, like weak immune system.
Kinds of Meningitis
There are two primary kinds of meningitis, these are the following:
- Bacterial meningitis. This kind of meningitis isn’t actually that common. However, it can be very fatal. This must be treated immediately to avert further brain damage and even death.
- Viral meningitis. Unlike the first one, this kind of meningitis is common. Usually, it doesn’t result in any serious illnesses. However, in some severe causes, it may cause lengthy seizures and fever.
Meningitis: What are its causes?
Obviously, based on the name of the two types of meningitis, they have different causes. The bacterial meningitis is caused by bacteria. On the other hand, the viral meningitis is caused by viruses. Furthermore, meningitis may also be caused by some other organisms and some drugs or medications, however, this is the case. The condition is contagious, meaning the germs which cause the condition can pass from one person to another. This is by means of sneezing, coughing, or through close contact.
Meningitis: What are its symptoms?
The following are some of the most common symptoms of meningitis among young adults and teens:
- Trouble in staying awake
- Painful and stiff neck
Some people with medical conditions, older adults, and children have the following symptoms:
- Older adults having medical problems may experience a slight headache
- Young children may act like they are experiencing flu. There is a tendency that they cough, or may have a difficulty in breathing.
- The babies may become cranky and decline to eat. Furthermore, there is a tendency that rashes may appear.
Here are some steps that you may use in lowering the risk of meningitis:
- Avoid having contact with wild animals.
- Prevent being bitten by insects like bugs, ticks, and mosquitoes.
- Wash hands more often if you are taking care of a patient that has it.
- Make sure to separate the patient who has meningitis to some other people at home.
- Stay away from those people who have meningitis.
Home Remedies for Meningitis
Here are some of the best home remedies for meningitis:
Ginseng. The active components of the ginseng are beneficial in eliminating the infections and makes the recovery process much faster.
Neutral bath. Using this will help in making the blood respond accordingly and reallocate it properly all over the body.
Cold packs. Using cold packs regularly helps in keeping the fever down. Furthermore, it also helps in fighting the chance of infection.
Bed rest. This is probably one of the easiest home remedies for meningitis. Having a wonderful bed rest helps in naturally healing the condition.
Chlorella. This small plant has a big effect in treating the illness. Furthermore, since it helps in boosting the production of red blood cells, the oxygenation increases.
Olive leaf extract. The extract is beneficial in reducing the inflammation, easing discomfort and pain, and lowers the fever that is associated with the illness.
Garlic. The allicin in the garlic is its active ingredient, which contains a powerful antioxidant property that possess both antibacterial and antiviral properties. Thus, it is beneficial in getting rid of the infections. Hence, making you much healthier.