Everyone wants to have strong and beautiful nails, however, the beauty can be spoiled because of brittle nails. Brittle and weak nails that are easily chipped or cracked are a problem that affects both women and men. Using nail polish, aging and frequent water exposure are the main reason that causes weak and brittle nails.
Brittle nails are also associated with some ailments, such as:
- Lung conditions
- Lichen planus
- Endocrine disorders
- Fungal infection
- Alopecia areata
Additional causes include chemical exposure, dehydration, polish remover, trauma and nutritional deficiencies. Some serious health ailments are also associated with brittle nails like heart disease, lupus, jaundice, and hepatitis.
Splitting, cracking or dry nails make us feel discomfort. However, brittle nails can be treated easily using modest home remedies. These remedies will make our nails stronger.
Brittle Nails: Signs and Symptoms
If you are wondering “why our nails break easily?” the main reason is that your nails are brittle. When you are experiencing brittle toenails or brittle fingernails, there are many signs & symptoms to consider.
- Longitudinal ridging
- Easy cracking, chipping or breaking
- Peeling nail tips
- Difficulty in growing fingernails
- The tip of nails tend to split
Remedies for Weak and Brittle Nails
It contains high quantities of silica. It is a vigorous mineral for healthy and strong nails. This herb can also remove white spots found in your nails.
- TEA TREE OIL
This type of oil can cure brittle nails, particularly when initiated by a fungal infection. Tea tree oil is a potent antiseptic that can help in fighting infections and cure discolored nails.
Sea salt is good for our nails because it contains several healing minerals. It toughens brittle nails, makes our nails even shinier and softens cuticles.
- Apply Vitamin E Oil
The absence of moisture is another reason why we are experiencing brittle nails. However, using Vitamin E Oil, we can keep our nails hydrated and moisturized. It also nourishes and strengthens cuticles and nails.
For additional benefits, drink Vitamin E tablets orally.
- Massage your nails using coconut oil
Coconut oil nourishes brittle and weak nails. It can be used as a moisturizer since it contains saturated fat. In addition, it can also prevent several types of nail infections.
As an alternative to coconut oil, olive oil can also cure brittle nails.
- Mix Apple Cider Vinegar in drinking water
It contains magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, and vitamins, these nutrients are good for our nails. And above, it can also cure nail infections because of the acetic acid and malic acid found in Apple Cider Vinegar.
The beer has biotin, phosphorus, potassium, and selenium that are proven helpful in making our nails healthier and stronger. It is proven as an effective remedy for weak and brittle nails.
Lemon Juice can improve and strengthen brittle nails condition. Also, it makes our nails whiter and brighter than ever.
- Drink Biotin Supplement
Taking biotin supplement will make our nails healthier and stronger. Biotin is very good for fighting brittle, thin or splitting nails.
If we are consuming lower dosage of iron, the risk of having weak and brittle nails is higher. That is why blackstrap molasses are an effective remedy because it contains higher amounts of iron. Aside from iron, it also contains many nutrients that are beneficial to our health.
However, a diabetic person is not advisable to drink blackstrap molasses.
- Apply a thick cream or petroleum jelly on your nails regularly.
- When your nails and hands are exposed to chemical and waters, don’t forget to use plastic gloves. However, if you don’t have plastic gloves, cut your nails to minimize the amount of chemicals and water being absorbed.
- Pushing your cuticles instead of cutting them is the best way to prevent fungal infection.
- Choose fortified polishes when buying nail polish.
- Avoid using fake nails, because they can cause nail fungus.
- Wear nail polish rarely, so that your fingernails will be exposed to fresh air
- Avoid using harsh chemicals such as formaldehyde and nail polish remover.
- Drink enough water to prevent dehydration and follow a properly balanced diet.
- Nourish your nails with Vit. D, by exposing them to sunlight for just a few minutes.
- To avoid hangnails and dry skin use cream or cuticle oil.
Not all brittle nails cause serious effects, there are times they only look unpleasant. However, brittle nails can be an indication that there is something wrong with your health. They can also accompany thyroid issues and iron deficiency. So it is recommended to consult your doctor when you are experiencing weak and brittle nails.
If brittle nails occur because of using too many harsh chemicals or not wearing plastic gloves when conducting household chores. Then, starting today, you can use the different and simple remedies mentioned above.