What is Apricot?
Table of Contents
Apricot or Prunus armeniaca is a small fruit that is orange in color. Furthermore, it is closely related to peach and plum in terms of flavor. It has a smooth skin and sweet flavor. Apricot can be consumed fresh or cooked. It could also be preserved by drying or canning and made into jams. Not only that, the health benefits of apricot are also amazing and something to look out for.
The size of it is from 1.5cm to 2.5 cm in diameter. Apricots are cultivated in in every continent. But it was first grown in China.
The health benefits of a 100g of raw apricot include Vitamins such as Folate, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Niacin, Riboflavin, vitamin k, vitamin E, and vitamin C. And Minerals such as zinc, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, iron, and calcium.
Health Benefits of Apricot
- Vitamin A: Good for Eyesight: One of the health benefits of apricot is that it maintains healthy vision and reduces the risk of having poor eye health. Vitamin A also boost the immune system that fights flu and common colds.
- Iron: Prevents Anemia: Eating apricot that is rich in iron helps to reduce the chance of developing anemia. Iron also improves the functions of muscles and the brain.
- Calcium: Anti-osteoporosis: Apricot has calcium that ensures the healthy growth and development of our bones. Calcium strengthens our bones and reduces back pain. Lack of calcium also causes arthritis. Regular consumption of apricot is a must for it to be effective.
- Potassium: Prevents Hypertension: Apricot has potassium that is needed to keep a stable blood pressure. Lack of potassium increases the possibility of developing hypertension.
- Fiber: Relieves Constipation: Apricot has fiber which has a laxative substance that helps patients who are suffering from constipation. Fiber helps the muscle movement to move smoothly to make the bowel movements regulated. Dietary fiber helps in losing weight. Soluble fiber absorbs important nutrients needed by the body. It also reduces bad cholesterol and cardiovascular diseases and increases good cholesterol needed by the body.
- Antioxidants: Apricot is a source of antioxidants that provide protection from free radicals that damage our skin. It maintains the skin healthy and slows down the process of skin aging. Eat regularly to help the body remove the toxins.
Skin Benefits of Apricot
- Heals damaged Skin– the apricot oil from the seeds of the fruits has a high content of Vitamin C which has softening effect on the skin.
- Reduces wrinkles, Removes blackheads and blemishes, Improves Skin Tone – the scrub from the apricot kernel can be beneficial in removing the damaged dead skin cells of the skin.
- Maintains Elasticity of the Skin– apricot oil can be useful as a facial mask to maintain the firmness and the tone of the skin.
- Skin moisturizer– apricot oil can also use to hydrate dry skin.
- Nourishes and Exfoliates Skin-apricot oil maintain the moisture of the skin.
- Relieves Acne-apricot oil has anti-inflammatory properties that relieve acne. Apply the oil on the affected area.
Hair Benefits of Apricot
- Conditioner– apricot oil can be a good addition to the shampoo or conditioner or as a treatment oil. Smoothen it to your frizzy hair to make it smoother more manageable.
- Treats Scalp Problems-with the combination of vitamin A and Vitamin C in Apricot, they are a remedy for dry scalp and dandruff. Regular application of Apricot oil can make the hair shiny and soft.
- Prevent Hair Loss– apricot oil helps prevent hair loss because of the Vitamin E.
Some Other Health Benefits of Apricot
Here are the most surprising health benefits of apricot:
- Heart health– with the combination of Vitamin C, Potassium and dietary fiber in Apricot it prevents heart attack and stroke. Eat at least one or two apricots a day or a handful of dry apricots will do. The potassium content of apricot also helps the muscle of the heart to be in order.
- Metabolism-because of potassium and sodium in Apricot, it maintains the balance of fluid in the body.
- Cure earaches and Fever– dripping a few drops of apricot oil in the affected ear is proven to be effective by scientists. Apricot juice with a tablespoon of honey has anti-inflammatory properties that affect the body temperature which relieves fever. Drink it twice a day.
- Anti-Asthma– apricot oil is beneficial in relieving various respiratory problems because the oil has expectorant and stimulating qualities.
- Beneficial for pregnant women-the nutrients and vitamins in Apricot helps the development of a fetus especially the Iron. They are also advised to eat dried apricots as well.
- Aromatherapy massage-the apricot oil can be beneficial as an aromatherapy massage to the body to maintain the skin.
- Prevent Cancer– the seeds of apricot has antioxidants that balance the harmful compounds and makes sure that the body is not getting any threats with some conditions like cancer. Furthermore, apricots are also beneficial in treating cancer and reduce the risk of developing the disease. This is one of the best health benefits of apricot.