You may have seen or known molasses before. But have you heard of the blackstrap molasses yet? Well, this kind of molasses in dark and viscous kind, which remainders even after a maximum extraction of sugar from the raw sugarcane. This particular kind of molasses is actually a powerhouse of various essential nutrients. All of these nutrients are contributing to the different health benefits of blackstrap molasses. As a matter of fact, it is capable of naturally relieving symptoms of PMS, stabilize the blood sugar levels, treat ADHD symptoms, boost the skin health, and improve the bone health. Get to learn more of this molasses, give this article a read.
What is Blackstrap Molasses?
The blackstrap molasses, as what we know is a dark, gooey kind of molasses, which remains even after the extreme extraction of sugar from the raw sugar cane. Blackstrap molasses has a unique consistency of thick syrup. This is mainly because what produces the blackstrap molasses is the third boiling of the sugar syrup.
Moreover, blackstrap molasses is the concentrated byproduct, which is left after the sucrose in the sugar has become crystallized. This has a strong taste, often described as bittersweet. Dissimilar to that of the refined sugar, the blackstrap molasses possess necessary vitamins and minerals. Thus, the health benefits of blackstrap molasses aren’t really surprising.
Ever since the time of the first-ever settlers, the blackstrap molasses has been imported from the Caribbean. Due to the fact that it was so much affordable than the refined sugar, the molasses was famous until the late 19th century. As a matter of fact, molasses was so famous that British royalties passed an act to deject colonists from dealing with the Western Indies.
Due to the growth of corruption among the local officials as well as the resentment and bitterness of the British law, by 1776, colonists were fighting for their own independence from the British rule throughout the American Revolution. Ever since this time, the blackstrap molasses has made its own comeback. This is all because of the health food movement, which popularizes vitamin-rich and nutritious foods. The largest producers of molasses are presently United States, Philippines, Thailand, Taiwan, Brazil, and India.
As the health benefits of blackstrap molasses are becoming more popular, more molasses products are now being sold in various supermarkets and grocery stores worldwide.
Nutritional Content of Blackstrap Molasses
The blackstrap molasses possess various essential vitamins and minerals, which it absorbs from the plant of sugar cane. There is a moderate amount of glycemic load in molasses, in fact, it just has 55. This is what makes it a better choice than the refined sugar, most especially for those who have diabetes. Furthermore, it also contains high amounts of manganese, selenium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
100 grams serving of the blackstrap molasses may contain the following:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin B6||0.7 milligrams||34%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.8 milligrams||8%|
Health Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of molasses:
- Helps in improving the bone health. Since there is a high content of calcium in the blackstrap molasses, it is beneficial in promoting healthy and strong bones. For the reason that we lose calcium every day via the skin, urine, stool, sweat, hair, and nails, we can’t make it in the body. Therefore, it is important to eat foods rich in calcium, just like blackstrap molasses.
- Helps in promoting the skin health. There is a lactic acid in the blackstrap molasses. This is essential in naturally treating acne, as well as treat some other skin illnesses. The consumption of blackstrap molasses may also help in accelerating the healing time of cuts, wounds, burns, and more.
- Helps in preventing cancer. This maybe is the best among all the health benefits of blackstrap molasses. All thanks, of course, to its high antioxidant content, which help in reducing the effects of free radicals in the body.
- Helps in stabilizing the blood sugar levels. The blackstrap molasses is beneficial in stabilizing the blood sugar levels that may be beneficial for those who have diabetes. The blackstrap molasses also has a low glycemic index and may naturally slow down the metabolism of carbohydrates and glucose.
- Helps in combatting stress. The calcium, B vitamins, and magnesium in the blackstrap molasses are essential in fighting stress and anxiety. For instance, the vitamin B6 in the blackstrap molasses is beneficial in raising the serotonin levels in the body, a hormone that controls mood and averts fatigue, pain, and depression.
- Helps in relieving symptoms of PMS. There is a good amount of iron in the blackstrap molasses. This is beneficial for women who experience symptoms of PMS.