Since the ages, the sunflowers are already native to various regions in America. Furthermore, it is also widely utilized in the cooking oil extraction. The sunflower oil may be is one of the best things that the sunflower can provide. The oil extract of the sunflower is actually non-volatile. Commonly, sunflower oil is used as a cosmetic and cooking formulation. This is mainly due to its emollient properties. In this article, you will get to know more about the health benefits of sunflower oil and more about it. Read on to know more!
Sunflower Oil: What is this?
The sunflower oil is a non-volatile oil, which may be easily obtained from the sunflower. Even though most people are familiar with sunflowers already, they do not directly think of the sunflowers as sources of an extremely healthy vegetable oil. This may replace some of the lesser healthy oils for cooking available in supermarkets worldwide. Furthermore, the sunflower oil is also beneficial in various cosmetic applications. Mainly, the producers of sunflower oil are Argentina, Ukraine, and Russia. However, it is very useful all throughout the world in preparing various cuisines.
One of the main reasons why the sunflower oil is now becoming more and more popular is its amazing content of fatty acid. These fatty acids include linoleic acid, oleic acid, stearic acid, as well as palmitic acid. Furthermore, the combination of this fatty acid is hugely important in the maintenance of various elements of the heath. This is now where the sunflower oil comes in, it helps in maintaining this particular balance.
Moreover, some of the fatty acids in the sunflower oil, as well as the other organic compounds and vitamin E, act as an antioxidant in the sunflower oil. This means they may affect the huge range of conditions people are suffering from, positively. Not just that, it also has more polyunsaturated fat than some other alternative options. Now, it is becoming more and more popular in the international market.
The sunflower oil is touted as a perfectly balanced oil and is a necessity for healthy cooking. But the health benefits of sunflower oil doesn’t just rely on using it in cooking. If you apply it on the skin, it may be effective in treating irritation, redness, scarring, eczema, and acne. Well, more of these health benefits below!
Nutritional Values of Sunflower Oil
100 grams serving of sunflower oil may contain the following nutrients. These essential nutrients are what make up the health benefits of the sunflower oil.
|Nutrient||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total fat||100 grams||153%|
|Monounsaturated fat||46 grams||–|
|Polyunsaturated fat||36 grams||–|
|Saturated fat||13 grams||–|
|Total carbohydrates||0 gram||0%|
|Dietary fiber||0 gram||0%|
Sunflower: Oils and Seeds
Basically, there are two types of sunflower seeds, the confection sunflower seeds, and the non-oil sunflower seeds. The confection sunflower seeds are the edible ones and are what they use in extracting the oil. On the other hand, the non-oil sunflower seeds are the ones that are useful in feeding animals. These particular sunflower seeds are not appropriate for human consumption.
The cold-pressed sunflower oil has an amber color and has a mild and pleasant taste. On the other hand, the refined oil is pale yellow in color. Due to its light and high content of polyunsaturated fat, the sunflower oil is frequently preferred over some other oils. Just like olive, corn, safflower, and canola oils for cooking.
Health Benefits of Sunflower Oil
Here are some of the best health benefits of sunflower oil:
- Help prevent infections: the sunflower oil is beneficial for infants due to its ability in protecting them against harmful infections. Most especially when they are born premature, wherein they are more prone to infections.
- Helps in protecting the body: the sunflower oil has an amazing effect on the general immune system. Furthermore, it also helps in increasing the ability of the body to resist the attacks of infection.
- Helps reduce inflammation: the sunflower oil is essential in reducing the amount of asthma severity. This is due to its anti-inflammatory properties, which are all because of its vitamin content.
- Prevents cancer: the antioxidant properties of the sunflower oil is essential in averting the onset of cancer. Furthermore, the vitamin E on it is also beneficial in eliminating the free radicals before mutating into healthy cells.
- Helps boost energy: the fatty acid in the sunflower oil is beneficial in giving the body an energy boost.
- Improves the immunity: the vitamin E content of the oil is beneficial in improving the immune system.
- Boosts the heart health: consuming sunflower oil in moderation may help in boosting the heart health. Thus preventing atherosclerosis or some other conditions.
Truly, sunflower is not just a beautiful flower we see in gardens. The oil that it produces is also astounding and is something to look out for.