Have you tried eating yard long beans before? Have you seen one? Well, this kind of beans is actually called the Chinese snake beans. They are close in relation to the black-eyed peas. The young, tender pods of which are one of the most popular vegetables in the Philippines, and various East Asian countries. It is not just delicious, it is also oozing with so much nutrition. This nutrition is what makeup all the essential health benefits of yard long beans. If you want to know all of these and more, feel free to give this article a read.
Yard Long Beans: What is this?
The yard long beans are legumes, which belong to the Fabaceae plant family. The beans were actually thought to have its own origin in the southern part of China. Scientifically, they call yard long beans as Vigna unguiculata, sub. sesquipedalis. Some of its common names include asparagus-beans, string beans, and as what we’ve said earlier Chinese snake beans.
Moreover, the yard long beans is an annual, fast-growing plant that is cultivated for its long pods and palatable seeds. It was originally from Southern Asia but is now widespread in cultivation in the Southeastern regions of Asia, Thailand, and Southern part of China. Usually, it grows in warm climates. The leaves are consumed as vegetables, the immature pods are consumed fresh, and the seeds are prepared as a pulse. Farmers pick the pods before getting matured and they cook it as a vegetable.
The yard long beans plant actually grows as a yearly, glabrous climber, which can reach up to about 2 to 4 meters in height. Furthermore, it bears a bright-green, trifoliolate leaves that are 12 to 15 centimeters long and 4 to 7 centimeters wide. Additionally, the plant bears light purple, yellow, or white flowers. These flowers turn into overhanging pods that is usually 30 to100 centimeters long. The color of the pod usually differs from light green to dark green or even purple. Its skin is either smooth or wrinkled.
Each of the pods has 20 to 25 seeds. These seeds are cylindrical, elongated, and round, which measures about 8 to 12 millimeters long and ranges from brown, red, white, striped, black, or dappled colors. Farmers usually harvest yard long beans from mid up to late summer.
Nutritional Value of Yard Long Beans
The young yard long bean pods has low-calorie content. As a matter of fact, in a hundred grams of it, there are just about 47 calories in it. Furthermore, the pods have a humungous amount of both soluble and insoluble fiber. Furthermore, since the whole green pod is eaten raw, enough amount of dietary fiber is acquired in the diet. Refer to the table below to know more about the essential nutrients of yard long beans.
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.40 grams||2%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.055 milligrams||1%|
|Vitamin A||865 IU||29%|
|Vitamin C||18.8 milligrams||31%|
Health Benefits of Yard Long Beans
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of yard long beans:
- Aids in bone health. Aside from osteoporosis, there are some other conditions, which may happen in the bone, which is essential for us to avoid. The manganese and vitamin K in yard long beans are beneficial in effectively maintaining the bone health, and make it strong up until the old age.
- Good for the digestion. The fiber content of the yard long beans is essential in providing a good effect on the digestive system. It may facilitate or even smoothen the secretions, which avoid various digestive conditions like constipation and other dangerous diseases like colon cancer.
- Helps in preventing osteoporosis. The rich vitamin K content of the yard long beans is beneficial in preventing the occurrence of osteoporosis. This is one of the best health benefits of yard long beans, especially to those who are struggling with the condition.
- Good source of antioxidants. The benefits of the antioxidants are so important for the body. It is beneficial in preventing and combating the free radicals. The yard long beans are an essential source of antioxidants.
- Good for the heart and cardiovascular health. The rich vitamin K content of the yard long beans is beneficial in avoiding various heart conditions. As a matter of fact, high vitamin K content may prevent the amplification of the arteries, which is a common factor in the coronary artery condition and heart disease.
- Helps prevent diabetes. The yard long beans are beneficial in controlling the excess sugar levels, thus preventing diabetes. Additionally, it has low calories and sugar content, thus it is safe for those who are diabetic.
There is no denying that the yard long beans is really a powerhouse of essential nutrients and health benefits.