Our body continuously constructs new bone to change the old ones. however, there is some condition that may hinder this natural process of the body. One of which is the Paget’s disease. This condition may happen too fast and may give the bones odd shape or figure. The bones may bent, become too big, brittle, weak, or soft. Furthermore, the new bones may also not fit together as firmly as it should. Truly, this condition is a no joke! Having enough knowledge about the condition is essential, not only that, the treatments for Paget’s disease is also necessary. To know all of these and more, feel free to read on to this article.
Paget’s Disease: What is this condition?
Table of Contents
The bone’s Paget’s disease is actually the second most common bone condition especially in the elderly patients. This is next to the Osteoporosis, which is the most common of all the bone conditions. Paget’s disease is also known as the osteitis deformans. It usually affects the normal process of remodeling the bones. In the normal bone, we know that the bone continuously remodels. In the remodeling process, the old bone is being removed and a new bone is being formed.
Those who have Paget’s disease, the process of bone remodeling is being altered. Furthermore, they also have an ample amount of bone resorption or removal. Then this will be followed by a more excessive or unnecessary amount of new bone formation. Unluckily, this particular increase in the rate of the bone remodeling may lead to new bone, which is not as strong as the normal bone.
The abnormal bone that is developed is weaker, has more blood vessels in it, and is quite larger when it comes to size than the normal bone. Though some of the cases don’t really cause various symptoms, there are some patients that may develop bone deformities, fractures, bone pain, and more symptoms.
Men are somewhat more prone to the condition than women. Furthermore, the condition is more common in the northern part of Europe, especially in Great Britain. Moreover, Paget’s disease is not common in the countries in Asia and Africa. Also, it is more common as we age, in fact, the condition is diagnosed in people in their 50s.
Paget’s Disease: What causes it?
The cause of Paget’s disease is actually unknown and is uncertain even up to this date. Furthermore, scientists also suspect that a combination of genetic and environmental factors may contribute to the onset of the disease. there are several genes that appear to be linked in acquiring the disease. Moreover, there are some scientists who believe that the Paget’s disease is closely related to the viral infection in the bone cells. However, this particular theory is quite controversial and many are weighing their options.
Paget’s Disease: Symptoms
Most people who have Paget’s disease as stated earlier, show no symptoms at all. when the symptoms occur, the most that people complain about is the bone pain. Furthermore, the condition may affect only one or two areas in the body. The signs and symptoms will actually depend on the affected area.
- Leg: as the bones get weaker, they may bend, thus causing you to become bowlegged.
- Spine: when the spines are the ones that get affected, the nerve roots may become compressed. Hence, causing you to feel pain, numbness, and tingling sensation in the leg or arm.
- Skull: an overgrowth of the bone in the skull may lead to loss of hearing as well as headaches.
- Pelvis: when the Paget’s disease takes place in this particular area of the body, it may cause hip pain.
Paget’s Disease: Risk Factors
Here are the factors that may lead to increase in the risk of the condition:
- Family history
- National origin
Treatments for Paget’s Disease
Here are some of the most active treatments for Paget’s disease:
- Weight loss: losing weight is beneficial in reducing the stress on the bones and the joints. Thus protecting them from getting worse. Furthermore, losing weight also helps in leaving the body susceptible to the deformation form Paget’s disease.
- Exercise: to avoid the condition, it is very important to do some flexibility and light exercises. This is actually one of the best treatments for Paget’s disease since it keeps the joints and muscles in shape.
- Sunlight: this is actually an easy way to increase the vitamin D in the body. This is since the body may actually synthesize vitamin D from the sunlight.
- Vitamin D: this essential nutrient is actually associated with the Paget’s disease. This is beneficial in making the bones firmer and stronger. Moreover, vitamin D is also important in the absorption of calcium in the intestines.
- Calcium consumption: the increase in the calcium consumption is beneficial in minimizing the impact of the disease in the body. We know that calcium is an essential mineral that takes part in the building bones that are strong.