Have you heard of fennel before? Well, if you are a food addict, a chef, a cook, a food blogger, or a food enthusiast, then you might have come across this herb already. It is added to various dishes and it actually makes food more delightful. But this is not just the only thing that fennel seed does, it is also beneficial for the health. In this article, you will be able to know the different health benefits of fennel seeds. Feel free to give this article a read if you want to know more.
What is Fennel?
Table of Contents
Fennel is actually a perennial plant that is oozing with so fragrant smell. It has a yellow flower that makes it even more appealing to some. This herb is native to the regions in the Mediterranean. However, it is now available all throughout the world. This herb may reach up to about 2 meters in height with leaves that are in deep green color. Generally, the fennel seeds are harvested when the seeds finally become light brown in color. The fennel seeds actually resemble anise seeds closely in terms of its appearance. It measures about 3 to 4 millimeters long. It is light brown in color and has fine vertical stripes over its surface.
Generally, the fennel is harvested during the early hours of the day to be able to avoid the loss of its seeds in the field. The same as in caraway, the stems of fennel are stacked up until they get dry, and when they are threshed and processed before it gets dispatched in the markets.
The smell of fennel is very aromatic and it has a very flavorful taste. Furthermore, it is also used in a number of culinary, as well as medical uses. If this herb is not present in your kitchen right now, then you must consider putting it on your shopping list and make it one of your household staple.
Aside from it is a good ingredient for various dishes, it may also be a good breath freshener. Moreover, the health benefits of fennel are also astounding. In fact, I may help in relieving various illnesses, which will be discussed later in this article. Before anything else, let us first look at what is inside the fennel seeds that makes it very good for the health.
Nutritional Value of Fennel Seeds
100 grams of fennel seeds contain:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||14.87 grams||48%|
|Dietary Fiber||39.8 grams||104%|
|Vitamin A||135 IU||4.5%|
|Vitamin C||21 milligrams||35%|
Uses of Fennel Seeds
The fennel seeds are useful in both the medical and culinary field. Read on to know more.
- The oil from the fennel seed is beneficial in relieving coughs, bronchitis, as well as in massaging to cure joint pains.
- The fennel water is beneficial for newborn babies to relieve their pain.
- The decoction from fennel seed may help in increasing the secretion of milk of a nursing mother.
- Fennel seed is a remedy for flatulence as well as indigestion in traditional medications.
The aroma of the fennel seed is like the aroma of anise. Thus it is beneficial in putting additional aroma to dishes. In fact, the herbs part of fennel is beneficial in a wide variety of cuisines all over the world.
- Fennel seeds are useful as a flavoring to bread, cheese, biscuits, cakes, and dough.
- It can be a part of curry powder.
- The fennel seeds are beneficial in adding flavor to fish dishes, vegetables, etc.
- Used as a condiment, as well as a flavoring
Health Benefits of Fennel Seeds
Here are some of the health benefits of fennel seeds:
- Helps in treating diarrhea: the herb is beneficial in treating diarrhea as it has some antibacterial and disinfectant properties.
- Helps in improving the brain function: the potassium in the fennel seeds are beneficial in improving the function of the brain. Furthermore, it also helps in improving the cognitive abilities.
- Helps in regulating the blood pressure: the rich potassium levels of the fennel seeds is what makes it important in regulating the blood pressure levels in the body.
- Helps prevent cancer: this is one of the best health benefits of fennel. The seed extract of the herb is beneficial in protecting the body from cancer. This is since it contains phenols, alkaloids, and flavonoids.
- Helps in treating constipation: when you take the powder form of fennel seeds, it may act as a laxative. This will help in clearing the bowel movements. Furthermore, its stimulating effects help in maintaining the right peristaltic motion of the intestines.
- Helps in treating indigestion: the components of the fennel seeds are beneficial in stimulating the secretion of the gastric juices, as well as the digestive juices. This is while reducing the inflammation in the stomach and in the intestine.