Have you seen or tried tasting Kakadu plum before? Its name may seem a bit weird, but I am telling you, this is not weird at all. This particular kind of plum actually comes from the country of Australia. The country is actually considered as the home of the most powerful vitamin C rich foods, which is the Kakadu plum. Now, aside from its vitamin C content, the Kakadu plum has so many other nutritional contents, which may surprise you. These nutritional content contribute to the health benefits of Kakadu plum. If you want to know this and more, feel free to give this article a read –you will surely learn a lot from this article!
What is Kakadu Plum?
Table of Contents
As stated earlier, the Kakadu plum is one o the most powerful foods that are rich in vitamin C. As a matter of fact, the Kakadu plum has the highest recorded level of natural content of vitamin C compared to any plant in this world. In fact, it is more than 100 times than that of the oranges.
Kakadu plum is also known as the billy goat plum or gubinge. Moreover, it is a kind of flowering plant that is more connected to the almond rather than the plum. Unlike most of the fruits, the Kakadu plum when ripe still stays on the plant.
This delightful plum is of the same size with any cherry or olive. It’s just that it has a hard, woody seed, which is covered with a layer of edible fruit. Furthermore, it is usually harvested in the early March up to the month of June. Nevertheless, this depends on the monsoon season. It is most popular in sauces, preserves, juices, chutneys, and jams. Some people also use it as a flavoring for ice cream. Nevertheless, it is often found as a concentrate, just like the rose hips, acerola cherry, or black currant extracts, as well as a powder supplement,
It contains about 150 to 450 milligrams of vitamin C every gram, which is a real nutritional powerhouse. Moreover, the Kakadu plum may be a perfect addition to the diet, especially for those who are struggling to eat enough fruits and vegetables to get some immune-boosting vitamin C power.
For thousands of years now, the Kakadu plum has been valuable as a traditional medicine, especially for the treatment of various conditions. Not just the plum, the inner bark of the Kakadu plant is also beneficial in treating various skin conditions.
Nutritional Value of Kakadu Plum
If you are going to think about plum, you might possibly see the fleshy, plump ones that are most common in the markets today. However, the Kakadu plum looks so much different. Even though it does have a fleshy skin, which surrounds a woody seed, it is smaller and is closer to the size and the texture of the cherry. Its shape, furthermore, it more of like the olive.
100 grams of the Kakadu plum may contain about:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin C||2907 milligrams||4845%|
100 grams of the standard raw plum contains the following essential nutrients:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin C||9.5 milligrams||16%|
|Vitamin K||6.4 micrograms||8%|
|Vitamin A||345 International Unit||7%|
Uses of Kakadu Plum
Here are some of the possible uses of Kakadu plum:
- Power supplement
- Fresh salads
- Fruit salads
- Breakfast bowls
- Ice cream flavoring
Health Benefits of Kakadu Plum
Here are some of the most exceptional health benefits of Kakadu plum:
- Helps in reducing the appearance of wrinkles. The vitamin C content of Kakadu plum is essential in reducing the appearance of age spots and wrinkles. In fact, vitamin C is essential in providing collagen support to the skin. It may also reduce hyperpigmentation and may prevent skin changes due to photoaging.
- Helps in fighting Alzheimer’s disease. The antioxidant properties in the Kakadu plum are essential in protecting against Alzheimer’s disease. It is also essential in warding off free radicals in the body, which may cause some negative effects on the different essential organs of the body.
- Helps in lowering the risk of cardiovascular illnesses. Since the Kakadu plum is rich in vitamin C, it is a great help in protecting against coronary heart illness or disease. This is one of the best health benefits of Kakadu plum, especially to those who experience the condition.
- Helps in protecting against immune system deficiency. The vitamin C in the Kakadu plum is essential in preparing the defence system of the body by way of boosting the immunity before coming in contact with any viruses that may cause cold or any other conditions.
- Rich in antioxidant and phytonutrients. The Kakadu plum has more antioxidant properties than the blueberry. This is what makes it one of the most remarkable foods that are rich in antioxidants in this world.