In spite of being admired for its own medical properties for so long, the maca root is one of the up-to-date remedies getting a lot of attraction in the natural health community. Not just that, it also deserves its superfood status. Furthermore, researchers are constantly turning up the new health benefits of maca root. If you want to know about these health benefits and more information about this amazing root, give this article a read! You will surely learn a lot from this article, so sit back, relax, and enjoy the read.
What is Maca Root?
Table of Contents
Scientifically, they call the maca root as the Lepidium meyenii. In the actual fact, the maca is a type of cruciferous vegetable that is native to the country of Peru. Furthermore, maca has the same appearance and size as the turnips and radishes that have green tops and roots. It has a range in color from yellow to purple and black.
Moreover, the deliciously tasting root is commonly available in the powder form. You may acquire it after getting harvested and grounded. It is not just a natural source of healing nutrition, it also possesses a very long history of being a very safe superfood, which has been consumed for all of its health benefits for more than a thousand years now, especially in the regions in the Andes Mountains.
Furthermore, the maca root is also considered as an adaptogen. This is the name given to various herbs, plants, and natural substances, which help the body in naturally adapting to the stressors. Just like a busy schedule, illness, or a demanding job.
Not just that, the maca root also provides a lot of significant micronutrients and is oozing with antioxidant properties. It also shows an effect in improving the sexual health, boosts energy, balances the hormone levels, and improve the mood and memory.
Nutritional Content of Maca Root
The maca root powder is a good source of fiber, protein, and various essential vitamins and minerals, including iron, copper, and vitamin C. Furthermore, it also has about 20 amino acids, including all of the eight essential amino acids, as well as many of the health-promoting phytonutrients. Moreover, it also has many beneficial plant compounds, including the polyphenols and glucosinolates, and is a famous choice, especially for the vegan diet.
An ounce or approximately 2 tablespoons of the maca powder has about:
|Principles||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Dietary fiber||2 grams||–|
|Vitamin C||79.8 milligrams||133%|
|Vitamin B6||0.3 milligrams||16%|
Health Benefits of Maca Root
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of maca root:
- Helps in boosting male fertility. A study suggests that the maca root is capable of increasing the sexual desire in men. Furthermore, another study also states that the maca powder is capable of benefiting the male fertility and sexual health. Moreover, the maca root may also help in treating sexual dysfunction.
- Helps in balancing the estrogen levels. The estrogen is the main female sex hormone that is responsible for the regulation of the reproductive system. A certain imbalance in this essential hormone may cause a swerve in the symptoms that may range from irregular menstrual periods and bloat.
- Helps in improving the female sexual health. Various studies suggest that the maca root may benefit the female sexual health, through various mechanisms. Moreover, it also has the capacity to improve the sexual dysfunction, as well as boost the sex drive in women.
- Helps in enhancing the mood, memory, and energy. Those who use the maca powder regularly suggest that the maca is essential in making them feel more driver, energized, and awake. Moreover, the maca root may also help in increasing the energy levels even without any jitters.
- Rich antioxidant levels. The maca roots may act as a natural antioxidant. It boosts the levels of antioxidants like superoxide and glutathione in the body.
Precautions in the Consumption of Maca Root
The maca root is safe for most of the people and they may be consumed with just a minimal risk of its side effects. Having said, consuming this in moderation is necessary.
If you experience any thyroid conditions, you must keep on consuming the maca root, but in moderation. One more thing, you should avoid taking it raw. Why? Well, this is because it has goitrogens in it, substances that may impair the thyroid function. You must check with your doctor first before you take it.
Those who rely on the hormone-altering medications for their conditions, physicians believe that the maca root must not be consumed. Moreover, those who have high blood pressure must also not consume the maca root. This is in order to avoid the adverse side effects of the maca root.
Lastly, there is a restricted research about the safety of the maca root for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Until it is proven safe, it is the best to avoid consuming maca.