Have you heard of the marshmallow root before? Well, this particular plant has a history that only a few know. In the actual fact, it has been used for over centuries now, especially in treating various infections, improve the skin health, and aid in digestion. These health benefits of marshmallow root are more than what meets the eye. If you want to know more about this wonder root, give this article a read! You will surely learn a lot from this –that’s for sure!
Marshmallow Root: What is this?
Table of Contents
When I say marshmallow, I am not literally referring to the cylindrical, sugar puffed candy that we often drool for. I am talking about the marshmallow root that is whole of a different deal. Continue reading to know what I’m talking about.
The marshmallow is actually a plant that is native to various regions in Europe and Africa. They have been using this plant for over centuries now, especially in preparing various herbal treatments. The history of it as a folk remedy, in fact, goes back to the ancient times in Greece and Egypt about 3000 years ago.
Moreover, the marshmallow plant has gained traction and importance in the Ayurvedic medicine as one potential treatment for lung conditions, digestive issues, bacterial infections, and various skin illnesses.
The marshmallow root is scientifically known as the Althaea officinalis. It is a perennial herb, which is native to Northern Africa, Western Asia, and Europe. They use it as a folk remedy for thousands and thousands of years now to treat skin, respiratory, and digestive illnesses.
Furthermore, the healing prowess of the root is mainly due to the mucilage that is possessed. Typically, you can consume the marshmallow root in tea form, tincture, as well as in capsule. Moreover, it is also used in various skin products as well as in cough syrups.
Marshmallow Root: How is it good for you?
The marshmallow root is a kind of natural mucilage. This just means that it acts as a soft fiber and swells up when it comes in contact with water. This particular quality is what makes the root a special protective coating all over the membranes. Moreover, the root actually has flavonoids antioxidants, amino acids like asparagine, pectin, and other compounds like quercetin, tannins, phenolic acids, and coumarin.
Moreover, studies suggest how all of these compounds are essential in improving the functioning of the mucous membranes in the respiratory system, thus preventing the onset of various serious conditions. Furthermore, the antioxidants in the root are also beneficial in preventing the oxidative damage in the body. This offers another set of amazing health benefits of marshmallow root.
Marshmallow Root: Nutritional Profile
The marshmallow root contains the following nutrients essential for the body:
|Polyunsaturated: 0 grams||Dietary Fiber: 0 grams|
|Total Fat: 0 grams||Potassium: 0 milligrams|
|Trans Fat: 0 grams||Protein: 0 grams|
|Calories: 20||Sodium: 0 milligrams|
|Monounsaturated: 0 grams||Sugars: 0 grams|
|Saturated: 0 grams||Total crabs: 0 grams|
|Cholesterol: 0 milligrams|
Health Benefits of Marshmallow Roots
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of marshmallow roots:
- Helps in treating skin conditions. The marshmallow root helps in soothing the skin’s nerve-sense system. This, in turn, helps in reducing the skin irritation. Moreover, the root may also be used topically in treating burns, wounds, chapped skin, and peeling skin.
- Helps in reducing water retention. The diuretic effects of the marshmallow root are beneficial in the reduction of water retention. This is essential in treating edema, and bloated stomach.
- Helps in enhancing the digestive health. The marshmallow root is essential in relieving various digestive issues, including constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux, and heartburn. In the actual fact, it helps in coating the inner lining of the stomach and prevents any burning sensations.
- Helps in boosting the heart health. One of the main causes of heart conditions is inflammation. Good thing, the marshmallow root has the capacity to fight this. It may also improve the heart health. In various studies, the root also has an effect in elevating the good cholesterols in the body.
- Helps in getting rid of bacterial infections. The symptoms of any infections, like tenderness, swelling, or burning, may be treated by taking the marshmallow root. As a matter of fact, the root is beneficial in killing the bacteria and accelerate the process of healing.
- May help in combating lung cancer. The antioxidant properties of the marshmallow root are beneficial in preventing cancerous tumor growth in the lungs. Moreover, it might also help in clearing the mucus everywhere in the body. This is one of the best health benefits of marshmallow root.
- Helps in treating cough and cold. The mucilage and antitussive properties of the marshmallow root is beneficial in decreasing the throat irritation and reduce the lymph nodes’ swelling.