Thousands and thousands of types of fishes live in the various body of waters in the whole wide world. There are some that are living in the wild, while some are raised and farm by various fish farmers. One of the types of fishes that is raised by many fish farmers is the milkfish. Even just by hearing its name, we can say that this type of fish is a delicious one. Well, it is true, but that is not the only thing to look out for in this fish. The health benefits of milkfish are also astounding and are in fact, beneficial for the betterment of the overall health. If you want to know more about this deliciously healthy fish, feel free to give this article a read.
Milkfish: What is this?
Milkfish is also identified as the bangus, bandeng, etc. It is actually the one and only living types in the Chanidae family. Milkfish is a Pacific saltwater fish that is silver in color. It lays its own eggs in the shallow part of the coastal waters. Furthermore, milkfish may withstand the low salinity of the water. Thus making it a good food staple for many.
In the actual fact, milkfish is a very famous fish in Southeast Asia. In fact, it is the national fish of the Philippines, where it is called bangus. The city of Dagupan in Pangasinan, Philippines is the bangus capital of the country. And they even celebrate it as a festival every year between March and April. This is to give thanks for the abundance of milkfish in the city.
Furthermore, milkfish may also live in the Pacific Ocean as well as in the Indian Ocean. Milkfish usually live in groups all over the edges of the islands and the coral islands. The young milkfish may live for about 2 to 3 weeks in the sea and then moves into the mangrove swamp that has salt water, and then occasionally into the watery salt lakes. The milkfish may head back to the ocean when it is already mature and may breed again.
The milkfish may grow to about a maximum size of 1.8 meters. However, mostly, it’s about 1 meter long. Furthermore, they may also reach the weight of approximately 14 kilograms and an age of about 15 years. The body of the fish is symmetrical and streamlined. The body color of the milkfish is olive green and has a silvery scales. The inside of it is whitish and has a lot of small bones.
Nutritional Values of Milkfish
Milkfish is one of the healthiest and most nutritious fish for so many years now. It started to be raised in the Philippines, and it spreads all throughout Taiwan, Indonesia, as well as in the Pacific. Furthermore, the fish is a good source of nutrients, vitamins as well as minerals. In fact, it is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and protein that is quite beneficial for the proper functioning of the body.
One ounce or about 28.33 grams of cooked milkfish, has:
|Nutrient||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total fat||2.4 grams||–|
|VITAMINS AND MINERALS|
|Vitamin A||9.4 µg||2%|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 milligrams||11%|
|Vitamin B12||0.9 µg||39%|
|Vitamin C||0 milligram||0%|
Health Benefits of Milkfish
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of milkfish:
- Helps improve eyesight: the omega-3 fatty acids present in the milkfish is essential in relieving dry eyes. Not just that, it is also beneficial in preventing the loss of eyesight due to aging.
- Helps improve cognition: the omega-3 fatty acids in the milkfish is beneficial in reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease as well as Parkinson’s disease.
- Helps protect against cancer: this is one of the best health benefits of milkfish. Not only that the omega-3 fatty acid fight cancer, it also prevent tumors from developing in the body.
- Helps in maintaining kidney and heart health: the vitamin B12 in the milkfish is beneficial in maintaining a good condition of kidney and heart health. Furthermore, it also helps the cardiovascular health in becoming healthier, this is because it helps regulate the functions of metabolism.
- Helps protect from anxiety and depression: the potassium content of the milkfish is beneficial in getting rid of anxiety as well as depression.
- Helps in bone health: there is a rich amount of vitamin D, phosphorus, and calcium in milkfish, thus making it essential for the healthy bone development.
Milkfish aren’t just some delicious fishes we eat and see in the ocean, they are also packed with so many health benefits. Not just that, its health ebenfits are all enticing and best for the over all health.