In today’s day and time, fermented type of foods has essential roles in the improvement of the quality of the food we eat, enhancing livelihood, as well as the food security. In fermentation, most especially with vegetables, it affects various groups of microorganisms. Furthermore, the nature of vegetable has now been paved a way for their own fermentation due to various fungal, bacterial, or even enzymatic activities. Commonly, the vegetable is preserved by way of some methods comprising fermentation and salting. Furthermore, the process has a connection to the kinds of vegetable. One vegetable that goes fermentation is cabbage, and it turns into sauerkraut. Well, the health benefits of sauerkraut are amazing, just like what cabbage do for the health. Want to know more? Feel free to read on to this article.
Sauerkraut: What is this?
Sauerkraut is actually a form of fermented cabbage, which is popular in various parts of Central Europe for many years. This food combines one of the healthiest food available here on Earth, I am talking about cabbage. Furthermore, it becomes sauerkraut using an astounding method of food preparation, fermentation. It is considered as one of the oldest and most common forms of preserving the cabbage. In fact, you can trace it back as one of the most important food sources of the fourth century B.C.
Sauerkraut is actually a popular side dish or as a condiment, which is a good addition to hot dogs or sausages in various cultures. All throughout the world, you will find cultures that consume fermented foods. However, the sauerkraut is one that has coped up and found a global market, which makes it very famous in America, Asia, and Europe.
It is believed to have originated in China, then it came to Europe during the Roman Empire. Fermented or pickled foods, just like sauerkraut were loved before the refrigeration era. This is since it allows the foods to stay fresh even during the long travels. Various people nowadays, incorporate sauerkraut with Germany and the countries in Eastern Europe. Furthermore, these places are where sauerkraut is heavily beneficial in various dishes.
The fermentation process that sauerkraut goes through is actually the same as the process of making pickles or kimchi. Furthermore, this means that heat is not actually part of the process. Moreover, this is for the reason that it may kill the bacteria, which makes it possible to go under fermentation. Aside from it being a delicious addition to various meals, sauerkraut may also be a healthy addition to whatever diet you have.
Nutritional Value of Sauerkraut
There is a low-calorie content in sauerkraut. However, it is an anti-inflammatory food and is rich in benefits. Aside from it having probiotics, it is also a good source of dietary fiber and antioxidants. This is all thanks to its main ingredient –the cabbage. Even you just eat a small amount of it on a daily basis, it may already give you a lot of nutrients, including phosphorus, potassium, calcium, vitamin C, as well as vitamin K. Additionally, since it goes the process of fermentation, the production of microorganisms in the fermented vegetables may enhance its digestibility, and increase the absorption of the nutrients in it.
One-half cup of sauerkraut serving or about 75grams has the following:
|Nutrient||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin C||11 milligrams||17%|
|Vitamin K||10 micrograms||8%|
|Vitamin B6||.1 milligram||6%|
Health Benefits of Sauerkraut
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of sauerkraut:
- Helps in making the bones stronger: the wide-array of minerals in the sauerkraut makes it essential in building much stronger bones, thus preventing osteoporosis.
- Helps in preventing cancer: the presence of antioxidants in sauerkraut are beneficial in getting rid of free radicals in the body. Furthermore, it’s one of the best health benefits of sauerkraut.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties: the phytonutrient antioxidants in the sauerkraut may help in reducing inflammation, joint discomfort, and reducing pain in muscles, as well as some other areas.
- Helps in boosting the immunity: the vitamin C content of sauerkraut is high. Thus making it essential in boosting the immunity against various infections and illnesses. Furthermore, vitamin C is also beneficial in the production of white blood cells. Which are beneficial in increasing the cell regeneration, as well as repair.
- Improves the skin and eye health: the carotenes that lie in sauerkraut, as well as its vitamin A content are beneficial in acting as antioxidants. Furthermore, they are also essential for the improvement of the eye and skin health.
- Helps in improving the heart health: the probiotics in the sauerkraut is beneficial in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol in the body.
- Improves the digestive health: the fiber content of cabbage. Which is the main ingredient in sauerkraut is beneficial for the digestive health. As it helps in moving the food through the bowels, therefore eliminating cramping, bloating, constipation, and some other digestive disorders.