Imagine this, you are enjoying brushing your teeth, and when you spit out the toothpaste from your mouth, you notice that there is a blood on it. Actually, there are a lot of this cases all over the world. Maybe your friends experience this as well. however, it is still a good thing to know more about this condition. Not only the causes, signs, and symptoms, preventive measures, but also the home remedies for bleeding gums. All of these are significant –to be able to get rid of the condition for life. To know this, feel free to read on to this article.
Bleeding Gums: What causes it?
Table of Contents
Bleeding gums are actually the first and foremost signs and symptoms of gum disease. These can also be caused by some other factors. These factors may include the following:
- Medical conditions like leukemia and hemophilia
- Hormonal changes during the stage of pregnancy
- Wearing dentures
- Having deficiencies in vitamin K and vitamin C
- Periodontitis; this is when the condition of gingivitis is left untreated and tends to continue at an advanced stage. Furthermore, this may also lead to infection of the jaw and gums, and may also cause the teeth to fall out and loosen.
- Gingivitis; not maintaining the good oral hygiene may result in plaque build-up in the gum line. This may cause gingivitis that may lead to bleeding and inflammation of the gums.
Since the bleeding of the gums may also be a result of a more serious causal condition, it is a must not disregard it. This condition is normally trouble-free, thus making it hard to identify.
Signs and Symptoms of Bleeding Gums
Here are some of the most common signs and symptoms of the bleeding gums:
- Sore and bleeding gums
- Pus formation around the teeth and the gums
- Loosening of the teeth
- Constant taste in the mouth or bad breath
- Gums receding from the teeth
- Red and swollen gums
If you notice whichever of these signs and symptoms, there is a high risk that you have bleeding gums. If in case you do have the condition, the first thing you must do is to maintain a proper oral hygiene and remove all the plaques that are making the gums bleed. Furthermore, you also need to treat it with some of the home remedies for bleeding gums.
Home Remedies for Bleeding Gums
Here are some of the best home remedies for bleeding gums:
Lemon juice. Due to the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of the lemon juice, it helps effectively in treating bleeding gums.
Cayenne pepper. Capsaicin in the cayenne pepper is effective in relieving pain. Furthermore, it also helps in reducing the swelling and infection of the condition.
Milk. The high amount of vitamin K and calcium in milk makes it beneficial in making the gums stronger and stop the bleeding as well. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory properties of it are also beneficial for the treatment of the condition.
Tea bags. The tannic acid in the tea has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This is beneficial in stopping the bleeding of the gums and help in killing the bacteria, which causes the condition.
Honey. The antibacterial properties of honey are beneficial in treating infections like gingivitis, which causes the mouth to bleed. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory properties of it also help in reducing swelling and inflammation of the gums.
Salt. The salt has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that may help in reducing the swelling and inflammation. Furthermore, it also helps in combating the infections, which causes the gums to bleed.
Vitamins. Increasing the intake of foods in rich in vitamins like vitamin K and vitamin C may help in getting rid of the condition. However, you must go to your doctor first to check if you really have deficiencies in either the vitamins.
Toothpaste. Having a proper oral hygiene is very important in getting rid of bleeding gums. An effective toothpaste may kill bacteria that are present in the gums, clearing the tartar and plaque in the teeth
Coconut oil. since the coconut oil has healing properties, it is beneficial in treating bleeding gums. Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory effects of it may help in reducing the inflammation in the gums.
Tips on Preventing Bleeding Gums
- Consume garlic, ginger, soy, green tea, cranberries, yogurt.
- Quit smoking cigarettes and tobacco.
- Always do flossing on the teeth to remove plaque on the teeth.
- Avoid harshly brushing your teeth. This may damage the gum’s soft tissues.
- Pick a brush with soft or medium bristles.
- Brush your teeth twice every day, most probably every after a meal.
Most of the cases of the bleeding gums may be get rid of the use of proper treatments and medication. This is when the cause is not from various underlying illnesses. Consulting a doctor is a must when your condition doesn’t stop for days after using it.