Who would want the amazingly delightful taste of sushi? Well, aside from the fact that sushi is a delicious delicacy, it also has countless health benefits. You read it right, sushi is also good for the health. In the actual fact, the health benefits of sushi include its ability to protect the heart health, maintain the hormonal balance, boost the metabolism, improve the blood circulation all over the body, and reduce the risk of various cancer. In this article, we are going to discuss these health benefits of sushi, and many other facts about it. So if you want to know these, please give this article a read!
Sushi: What is this?
Table of Contents
The term sushi actually denotes a certain dish of rice that is seasoned with sweet rice-wine vinegar. Even though the basic ingredient of it is rice, this particular dish may come in various kinds, which has various fillings, toppings, as well as condiments. Furthermore, sushi includes cooked fish, raw fish, mayonnaise, boiled corn, tofu, shellfish, and many others. Even though sushi is originally a Japanese dish, people also claim that it is just introduced in Japan by China. Well, this happened during the 17th century.
The origin of the sushi is actually in connection to the exertions of the Chinese people that preserve the fish. They actually developed a particular technique in fermenting the fish using rice and salt. It is on that period too that it took about 3 months to a year for the fish to get over the process of fermentation. As a matter of fact, ancient people used to consume the fish and disregard the sour rice. Later, however, they started using vinegar for the fermentation, together with fish and rice. This is better as it enhances the taste of the sushi and makes the fermentation time much shorter.
Moreover, people in Osaka started to use wooden molds to press the rice and the seafood. In the 19th century, the harbinger of the contemporary sushi was then developed in Tokyo. Formerly, this sushi is popular as edomae zushi –since the fish in it was from the Tokyo Bay, and Tokyo is also popular as Edo. This particular type of sushi was actually made with no process of fermentation. In addition, this is what made the process much faster.
Types of Sushi
There are actually numerous types of sushi. They are as follows:
- Sashimi. In this kind of sushi, the slices of raw fish come with no rice. In general, they serve it on julienned radish.
- Uramaki. This is a very distinct type of sushi roll, which is made up inside out. The nori is what covers the filings and the sushi rice is beneficial in wrapping the nori. The outer coating is also done with the use of toasted sesame seeds and some other ingredients. All of which adds a very distinct flavor to the sushi.
- Temaki. This particular kind of sushi is actually prepared the same way as the maki sushi. Nevertheless, it is rolled in a conical shape for a much better appearance.
- Maki. The maki sushi roll has one or more vegetables and fish in rice that is wrapped with roasted nori seaweed.
- Nigiri. This certain sushi type has slices of fresh raw meat or fish that over the pressed rice. Moreover, people usually season it with soy sauce and wasabi.
Sushi Nutritional Profile
Sushi is a combination of various ingredients, thus the nutritional profile of it is so diverse. The sushi rice is a good source of carbs and has a negligible amount of fat. Furthermore, the seaweed wrapper nori is also oozing with iodine. The seafood is the major ingredient in it, which contains selenium and omega-3 fatty acids in huge amounts. Various types of fish are in it, which also contain various vitamins and minerals. All of these, including the nutritious vegetables and fruits in sushi, are what make up all the necessary health benefits of sushi.
Health Benefits of Sushi
Here are some of the most astonishing health benefits of sushi:
- Helps in improving blood circulation. The fish in the sushi, as well as the soy sauce condiment, are oozing with iron. This particular mineral is essential in the production of red blood cells. Not just that, it is also essential in the improvement of the blood circulation.
- Helps in preventing cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of sushi. The ginger and wasabi ingredients of sushi possess anti-carcinogenic can anti-mutagenic properties because of their antioxidant compounds. These are essential in neutralizing free radicals in the body before cancer cells mutate.
- Helps in boosting metabolism. The fish in the sushi has low calories and fat in it. This is beneficial in boosting the ability of the body to function regularly.
- Helps in maintaining hormonal balance. The seaweed wrap in sushi is rich in iodine, which is an important element for the body. It is actually essential in the regulation and control of the endocrine system.
- Helps in protecting the heart health. Sushi has a rich, healthy fish ingredient on it. Furthermore, it is also rich in omega-3 fatty acid. this is beneficial for the protection of the heart health.