Have you seen or tried tasting Camu camu before? Its name may seem a bit weird, but I am telling you, this is not weird at all. This fruit is actually considered as the next superfood that will hit the markets in North America. You may be wondering how it will be a superfood. Well, this is all because of its essential nutrients. And because of these essential nutrients, Camu camu has a lot of benefits beneficial for the health. If you want to know more about the health benefits of Camu camu and much other information about it, feel free to give this article a read. For sure, you will learn a lot from this article!
Camu camu: What is this?
In the actual fact, Camu camu is a shrub that is present in the flooded or swamp areas in the Amazon rainforest. As what I’ve said earlier, this could be the next superfood that may hit the different markets very soon. Moreover, the shrub bears huge berries, which may look like cherries. These berries aren’t that simple of a berry, they are actually one of the best vitamin C-rich foods. This is for the reason that they have more vitamin C in them rather than some other food sources on the planet. In fact, sometimes, it has as much as 60 times more vitamin C than the orange.
Moreover, Camu camu is also oozing with some powerful concoction of amino acids, like valine, leucine, and serine. Not just that, it is also rich in phytochemicals as well as minerals, which may help a lot of illnesses in our body. Furthermore, Camu camu has been used in almost everything, from gum health, inflammation, as well as herpes to mood health, eye health, and many others. Animal studies have also shown that the Camu camu possesses anti-genotoxic and antioxidant properties.
Acai and acerola are two of the superfoods popular for their astoundingly high levels of vitamin C. nevertheless, Camu camu also has even more vitamin C in it. In the actual fact, Camu camu is justly new to the global market, yet its fame all over the world is growing rapidly. That not just it, there is more to Camu camu than meets the eye. Continue reading on!
Camu camu: Nutritional Background
The Camu camu berry as aforementioned comes from the Myrciaria dubia shrub, which grows about 9-14 feet tall. The small tree of it is in the Myrtaceae or the myrtle family. Moreover, the shrub is somewhat related to the guavaberry and rumberry and produces a red or yellowish fruit, which is overly sour. This is the reason why commonly, it is ground into powder form and mixed into some other things. Moreover, the wild shrub may produce about 26lbs. of berries every year.
A hundred gram serving of Camu camu may contain:
|Principles||Amount||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin C||2145 milligrams||3575%|
Apart from the abovementioned essential nutrients of Camu camu, it also has carotenoids at 355 micrograms. Moreover, the Camu camu fruits also have lutein. This is what dominates the carotenoids together with the zeaxanthin and beta-carotene.
Health Benefits of Camu Camu
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of camu camu:
- Helps in fighting aging. There has been a lot of studies regarding the possible effects of camu camu in slowing down and improving the aging process. The powerful antioxidants like vitamin C in it is essential in treating inflammation, especially to the elderly as well as those who are approaching the old age. Moreover, camu camu may also have an effect on various eye issues, like macular degeneration that becomes common to those who are aging.
- Helps improve the gum health. The antiviral and antioxidant properties of camu camu may be beneficial in fighting against gum diseases. This is one of the best health benefits of camu camu, especially to those who experience the condition.
- Helps in enhancing the mood. The high concentration of vitamin C in the camu camu is beneficial for the brain’s production of serotonin. This is beneficial in enhancing the mood. This may also be the reason why it can be a possible treatment for depression.
- Helps in improving liver health. The antioxidants and phytochemicals in the camu camu are essential in fighting against various conditions as well as the malfunction of the liver. The vitamin C in it is essential in, specifically, is essential in the improvement of the liver health.
- Helps in boosting the immunity. There is a high level of vitamin C on the camu camu. This is essential in boosting the immunity. In fact, camu camu is beneficial in feeding the body with the important nutrients that it needs to detoxify and heal properly.