Sometimes, when we talk about fruits, the first thing that crosses the mind is banana, grapes, oranges, or apples. Moreover, the point that some fruits are oozing with health benefits to the overall health is not a secret anymore. However, did you know that there are a lot of exotic and rare fruits all over the planet? One of which is the canistel fruit. Have you heard of this before? Well, I am telling you, you need to know it! Canistel is one fruit that you should get to know. You know what, the health benefits of canistel are all for the betterment of the overall health. So, read this and you will learn and be more enlightened about this fruit. And who knows, after reading this, you will eat canistel for keeps! Enjoy!
Canistel Fruit: What is this?
Table of Contents
Canistel fruit or what we scientifically know as Pouteria campechiana is actually a tree that’s evergreen and comes from the Sapotaceae family. Despite the fact that canistel fruit is originally from the Central America and Mexico, it is also famous in various countries in the region of Asia. In fact, it has been cultivated commercially in the countries of Sri Lanka, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, as well as some tropical parts of Taiwan. Furthermore, the meat of the fruit is so sweet and is often eaten fresh although the fruit is able to made into jams as well.
The canistel fruit has a glowing yellow color and has a waxy skin. Moreover, the flesh of it has the same consistency as the egg yolk of a hard-boiled egg. As stated earlier, it is highly superior in tropical countries and is seldom to grow in many places in the United States of America. Furthermore, the canistel fruit can highly be variable in shape and size, which ranges from round to pointed as well as ovaloid.
Did you know that it is also known as eggfruit? You read it right, pal! Maybe you are going to ask why. Well, as stated earlier, the flesh of the canistel fruit is the same as egg yolk when it is hardboiled. Furthermore, unlike any other fruits, canistel is not juicy and inside of the flesh, there is a large polished brown or black seeds.
Nutritional Facts of Canistel
When we talk about the nutritional facts of the canistel fruit, there are more to it than meets the eye. In fact, canistel is rich in various minerals and vitamins. The yellow color of canistel fruit is actually the main proof that it is really an outstanding source of vitamin C, vitamin A, pro-vitamin A, as well as beta-carotene. Furthermore, the texture of the flesh of the fruit is so watery. This is where various minerals like calcium and iron lie. Moreover, the canistel fruit is a sensible source of fats, calories as well as carbohydrates as well.
100 grams of canistel fruit has:
|Total Fat||1 gram|
|Trans fat||0 gram|
|Monounsaturated fat||0 gram|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0 gram|
|Saturated fat||0 gram|
|Dietary fiber||8 grams|
|Total carbohydrates||32 grams|
|Iron 0%||Vitamin C 0%|
|Calcium 0%||Vitamin A 0%|
Uses of Canistel Fruit
Here are the different uses of canistel fruit:
- Eggfruit nog or milkshake. You can make this using canistel pulp, nutmeg, vanilla, sugar, milk, and of course, a mixer.
- Canistel’s pureed flesh can be beneficial in custards or can be a good addition to ice cream mix before freezing it.
- Some enjoy canistel fruit with mayonnaise, lemon juice, lime, pepper, or salt. This is either the fruit is fresh or it is a light baking.
- You can eat it raw. There’s no problem with that, but of course, don’t consume excessively.
Health Benefits of Canistel
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of canistel:
- Great source of iron: iron, as we know, is one of the most beneficial minerals. Iron in canistel helps in the production of the hemoglobin, which helps in carrying oxygen in various parts of the body.
- Aids in the digestive health: the rich dietary fiber content of canistel is beneficial for the digestive health. As we know, dietary fiber helps in the promotion of the regular bowel movements by way of bulking the stools and getting rid of it easily.
- Helps boost the immunity: the ascorbic acid content of the fruit is beneficial in boosting the immunity. This makes it useful in preventing various illnesses, including cold and flu.
- Aids in the eye health: the provitamin A content of canistel are actually carotenoids. These are beneficial for the betterment of the eye health.
- Helps in lowering the risk of diabetes: this is undeniably one of the best health benefits of canistel. What makes it work is the Niacinamide chemical substance in the fruit that is known to be effective in the prevention of diabetes.
- Prevents cancer: the beta-carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin A content of the fruit is beneficial in preventing the onset of tumors that can become cancerous.
Undeniably, canistel is an amazing fruit that is oozing with so many health benefits. So, try it now and be healthier than before!