Root crops, it is actually a group of plants that have tubers on the stems underground or on the side roots, which are used for fodder, for food, or in the manufacture of raw materials. Generally, root crops are native to the Solanaceae and the artichokes family. These root crops are essential in various meals, in fact, there are types of root crops that are pungent, sweet, and are appetizing –one of which is a radish. Not only that this root crop is deliciously tasty, it is also oozing with so many health benefits. In fact, the health benefits of radish are all enticing and are all for the betterment of the overall health. Feel free to read on to this article to know more.
What is a Radish?
It is a root vegetable or root crop that has a white flesh that resembles the texture of a turnip. Just like some other members of the cruciferous family, like cabbage and broccoli, radish also contains a characteristic oil, which is the source of its pungency.
Furthermore, radish has been improved in various varieties. Each of these varieties has their own distinctive appearance. Examples of which are the watermelon radish and black radish. There are some that are in colors, red, and white as well. The length of radish may go from an inch up to as long as 3 feet. Its size is from an ounce to about a hundred pounds. On the other hand, its level of pungency is from mild to a seemingly sharp. Furthermore, just like some other root crops, radish is also capable of producing green leafy tops, which are edible and may add a peppery taste to salads.
Furthermore, radishes were first cultivated in China many years ago and it slowly made its own way to some other parts of the world eventually. In the actual fact, in much earlier times, a lot of health benefits of radish are actually regarded to be very high in Greece and Egypt. The status of radish is so high that in Greece, they even made replicas of radish.
The parts of radishes that are usually consumed are the seeds, pods, flowers, and leaves. Scientifically, it is also popular as Raphanus sativus. It belongs to the Brassicaceae family as well. In various parts of the world, it is popular as daikon, mainly in the Asian markets.
Maybe you are to ask, what’s so special about radish. Well, radish is oozing with so many vitamins and minerals, and some other nutrients beneficial for the health. Read on below.
Nutritional Value of Radish
100 grams or 1 serving of radish contains:
|Principle||Nutrient Value||% Daily Value|
|Dietary fiber||1.6 grams||4|
|Total fat||0.10 grams||<1%|
|Vitamin C||14.8 milligrams||25%|
|Vitamin A||7 IU||<1%|
|Vitamin K||1.3 µg||1%|
|Vitamin E||0 milligram||9%|
Health Benefits of Radish
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of radish:
- Helps in controlling diabetes: there is a low glycemic index in radish. Thus it does not impact the blood sugar levels. Furthermore, they also help in regulating the absorption of sugar in the bloodstream. Therefore, it is beneficial in controlling one of the fatal illnesses, diabetes.
- Helps in reducing blood pressure levels: the potassium content of radish helps in reducing the blood pressure levels. This is because when it gets interaction with the arterial supply of the vascular beds, it may relax the blood vessels, thus increasing the blood flow.
- Helps in treating respiratory disorders: being anti-congestive, radish is beneficial in reducing the congestion of the respiratory system, including irritation of the lungs, windpipe, throat, and nose.
- Helps in digestion: the radish is rich in fiber, which adds a moderate bulk in the bowel movements. Thus promoting a regular bowel movement and relieve the symptoms of constipation.
- Helps in treating cancer: this is one of the best health benefits of radish. This is mainly because of the anthocyanins, folic acid, and vitamin C content of the root crop. They are beneficial in treating various types of cancer.
- Helps in improving the cardiovascular system: the anthocyanins in the radish is beneficial in reducing the risk of cardiovascular illnesses. Moreover, they are also beneficial in treating cancer.
- Aids in weight loss: since radish is a good filling, it is beneficial in satisfying hunger without even running up the calorie count. Moreover, it is also low in carbs, has a lot of water content, and is high in roughage. Therefore, it is a good option for a diet to those who want to lose weight.