Milk is very important for the growth and development of an individual, most especially at a young age. It is vital in making bones, teeth, as well as the body strong. However, there are a lot of types of milk that are available in the market today. So you better know what is right for you or your child. One type of milk that is loved by some is the skim milk. In the actual fact, it is one of the most trendy of all the types of milk available in every market. What others don’t know about this milk is that it has a lot of benefits which are uniquely diverse than some other types of milk. The health benefits of skim milk are all astounding and are all for the betterment of the health. If you want to know these and more about skim milk, read on!
Skim Milk: What is this?
Table of Contents
This is a type of milk that is also popular as non-fat milk or fat-free milk. It has low-calorie content and is a version of the traditional type of full-fat milk that’s low fat. Majority of the low-fat milk is enriched with vitamin D as well as vitamin A. this is since all the fat-soluble types of vitamins are frequently lost in the event that the fat’s being extracted from the whole milk.
Not like what other people believe in, the skim milk has the bulk of the nutrients of the regular milk. Even though it lacks some flavors of the whole milk, still, it may be a very significant alternative for those who struggle with obesity.
Moreover, in the recent years, the nonfat milk was actually made by way of allowing the regular type of milk to separate and sit. Thus, making the high-fat type of cream to rise through the top. This is now where it will be skimmed off and then removed.
In today’s day and time, it is quite usual that the milk undergoes various processes including centrifugal division. In this particular process, if not all, most of the molecules of fat are being detached from the milk’s remainder. Moreover, the milk will then be homogenized, thus averting any additional division in between all the molecules. This is since they are all of the similar sizes.
Types of Skim Milk
Here are the four (4) types of skim milk:
- Organic skin milk: this is actually made from the milk that comes from cows, which did not get any treatments using synthetic growth hormones or even antibiotics. They are given organic feed only.
- Reconstituted skim milk: this is a non-fat dry milk that has an additional water on it. Thus forming the consistency of the regular skim milk.
- Concentrated skim milk: this is a nonfat milk, which a definite quantity of water is being removed. This is what gives the milk a much thicker consistency. Furthermore, it is also a much more concerted source of minerals, vitamins, natural sugar, and protein.
- Non-fat dry milk: this is actually a powdered form of the skim milk, which lacks cream and water on it.
Nutritional Value of Skim Milk
One (1) cup-serving of skim milk, contains:
|Total fat||0 gram|
|Trans fat||0 gram|
|Monounsaturated fat||0 gram|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0 gram|
|Saturated fat||0 gram|
|Dietary fiber||0 gram|
|Total Carbohydrates||13 grams|
|% Daily Value|
Health Benefits of Skim Milk
Here are some of the best health benefits of skim milk:
- Helps in promoting growth: skim milk has a good amount of protein, thus making it essential in the proper growth as well as the good development of bones, tissues, cells, and muscles.
- Helps in improving the muscle function: the calcium content of skim milk is in great levels. This is what makes it beneficial in improving the muscle, as well as the general function of the nervous system. The level of this perilous electrolyte should be maintained properly for a normal activity.
- Helps in controlling blood pressure: the potassium content of the skim milk is beneficial in controlling the blood pressure. This is by means of relieving the tension and strain in the blood vessels, as well as in the arteries.
- Helps in weight loss: there is a low-calorie content on the skim milk. Thus making it a perfect choice for those who want to watch their overall intake of calorie. This may be beneficial in losing weight.
- Helps in improving the heart health: since there is little to no cholesterol in skim milk, it is beneficial in lowering the risk of atherosclerosis. Therefore protecting fro various cardiovascular conditions, just like strokes and heart attacks.
There are a lot of health benefits of skim milk. The above-mentioned are just some of it. The next time you choose milk to try on, opt for skim milk. To see if it is also beneficial to you.