Fishes are so rampant in the sea, lake, river, and some other bodies of water. And a lot are farmed in various fish farms all over the world. One of which is tilapia. The tilapia fish is a very tasty, yet inexpensive fish that is rich in protein. As what you’ve read, it is rich in protein, meaning it is a healthy fish to eat. Of course, it is, but the health benefits of tilapia have some negative sides too. In this article, you will get to know lots of things about tilapia, what it is, if it’s safe or not, and it benefits as well. So just relax and read on!
What is Tilapia?
Table of Contents
Tilapia is actually a broad term for a range of fish, more than about a hundred species. It is from the cichlid family of fish, which is one of the most diverse variety of fish in the whole wide world. Furthermore, tilapia is actually the second of the most farmed fish in our planet, which is originally from the Middle East and Africa.
Moreover, tilapia is a freshwater fish, which grows in the lakes, rivers, ponds, as well as in shallow streams in warm temperatures and has a mild flavor. The tilapia actually resembles a sunfish and it has lateral stripes with a long dorsal fin.
Interestingly enough, tilapia is actually considered as a symbol of rebirth. These days, tilapia is cultured on various farms. Additionally, these hybrid fish are also being produced to meet the market demands now. Tilapia has started gaining its popularity in the global scene after various scientists unraveled its countless health benefits. Furthermore, tilapia grows rapidly and does not require any fancy culture conditions.
However, there are some concerns about its fatty acid ratio. Furthermore, there are several reports that also rise surrounding the farming practices of tilapia. As a result, many people claim that it is right to avoid the fish completely and that it may be so harmful to the health.
Nutritional Value of Tilapia
Tilapia is rich in protein, a good source of vitamins and minerals, and is low in calories content.
One ounce of tilapia may contain:
|Total fat||0.7 grams|
|Omega 6 fatty acid||84 grams|
|Omega 3 fatty acid||67.2 grams|
|Vitamin E||0.2 milligrams|
|Pantothenic acid||0.2 milligrams|
|Vitamin B12||0.5 micrograms|
Health Benefits of Tilapia
Here are some of the health benefits of tilapia:
- Helps prevent premature aging: the selenium content of tilapia is actually an antioxidant, it helps in rejuvenating the skin and stimulate vitamin C and E. Both the vitamin C and E are beneficial in improving the quality as well as the health of the skin.
- Aids in the brain health: the omega-3 fatty acids, as well as the potassium in tilapia, are essential in boosting the power of the brain. Not just that, it also increases the neurological function.
- Helps in maintaining the heart health: the rich omega-3s in tilapia are beneficial in reducing the levels of cholesterol in the cardiovascular system. Furthermore, it neutralizes the impact of omega-6s in the body as well.
- Helps prevent prostate cancer: the rich selenium content of tilapia is beneficial in reducing the risk of prostate, thus making this one of the best health benefits of tilapia.
- Aids in weight loss: tilapia is high in protein, but low in fats and calories, thus it can be a perfect addition to the weight loss diet.
- Good for growth and development: the protein content of tilapia is so high. Thus making it beneficial in breaking down the composite amino acids and make it into a usable protein for the body’s growth and development.
Side Effects of Tilapia
We know that fish is one of the healthiest foods here on Earth. This is since they contain omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for the overall health. The omega-3 fatty acids are the ones that help in reducing the inflammation as well as the blood triglycerides. These acids are also beneficial in reducing the risk of heart disease. What is not good about tilapia is that it contains only 240 milligrams of omega-3s per serving. This is way lesser than its omega-6s.
The omega-6 fatty acids are less healthier than the omega-3. There are some people who also say that the omega-6 fatty acid may be harmful and may increase inflammation when excessively eaten. Some professionals say that you must not eat tilapia if you are hoping to reduce the inflammation you have in your body.
Some other negative issues in eating tilapia:
- Tilapia farmers often feed animals with animal feces
- Tilapia may be polluted with some harmful chemicals
Regardless of the side effects as well as the negative issues tilapia has, it is still undeniable that this type of fish is oozing with health benefits. This can be a great help for the body.