Often touted as the king of all fruits –mango. This is a tropical fruit that is of course, common to various tropical countries all over the world. This is also one of the most popular, nutrition-rich fruits that has a unique fragrance, taste, and a lot of health-promoting properties, which makes it number one among the super fruits. As what I’ve said, this fruit is oozing with so many essential nutrients. All of which, contribute to the amazing health benefits of mango. Give this article a read to know more about this super fruit. Worry less, you will learn a lot from this article!
Mango: What is this?
The mango is an oval-shaped, juicy, fleshy, and creamy tropical fruit. In the actual fact, it is a drupe or a stone fruit that has a distinguishing outer plump part that is surrounded with a shell and has a seed inside. Some other fruits of the same kind are dates, olives, peaches, plums, cherries, and coconuts.
The flavor of mango is often referred to as a cross between a pineapple and a peach. Just like the pineapple, mango also more than about 20 essential vitamins and minerals. The fruit comes from a large evergreen, which grows almost entirely in various sub-tropics and tropics region of the world. Furthermore, the fruit may vary in the skin color –from green to yellow or orange to red. Nevertheless, the inner flesh of it is usually of golden yellow color.
Moreover, the mango seeds voyaged with humans from Asia up to South America, East Africa, and the Middle East. It dates in approximately 300 or 400 A.D. and were cultivated firstly in the country of Malaysia, and in Eastern Africa. Nonetheless, the Portuguese explorers are the ones who introduced the mangoes to the people of Brazil and Africa.
In the country of the Philippines, they consider mango as their national fruit. Not just that, there are also various regions in their country where Filipinos celebrate its abundance. They have Mango Festival, in which they give thanks to their patron saints of the bounty of mangoes in the harvesting season.
The popularity of the mangoes grew and grew, and then today, it holds the honor of being the most consumed fruit in the whole wide world. In short, mangoes are adored fruits, which are also a powerhouse of nutrients.
Nutritional Content of Mangoes
The mango belongs to the Anacardiaceae plant family and is scientifically known as the Mangifera Indica L. This tropical fruit is oozing with various essential vitamins and minerals, as well as antioxidants and fiber. Refer to the table below to know the different nutrients in the fruit.
100 grams serving of fresh mango may contain the following nutrients:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.27 grams||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||1.80 grams||4.5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.160 milligrams||1%|
|Pyridoxine (vit B-6)||0.134 milligrams||10%|
|Vitamin C||27.7 milligrams||46%|
|Vitamin A||765 IU||25.5%|
|Vitamin E||1.12 milligrams||7.5%|
|Vitamin K||4.2 micrograms||3.5%|
Health Benefits of Mangoes
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of mango:
- Helps in increasing the immune system. The high beta-carotene content of the mango is beneficial in boosting the function of the immune system. Moreover, the extra beta-carotene is converted as vitamin A. This is essential in fighting the free radicals in the body, which may damage the body and the health.
- Naturally treats anaemia. The rich iron content of mango is beneficial in treating anemia naturally. So if you or someone you love is lacking with iron, try consuming mango.
- Helps in combating cancer. The high levels of pectin in mango are beneficial in lowering the cholesterol levels in the blood. Not just that, it also helps in preventing and combatting prostate cancer. This is understandably one of the best health benefits of mango.
- Lowers the risk of heart conditions. There is a high amount of pectin in mango that is beneficial in lowering the levels of cholesterol in the body. Additionally, it also has a low level of sodium, this is essential in lowering the risk of heart illnesses.
- Helps in boosting bone health. There is a good level of vitamin K in mangoes, which is beneficial in boosting bone health. It also provides calcium, which strengthens the bones.
- Helps in boosting brain health. The vitamin B6 in the mango is beneficial in boosting the brain function. The vitamin B6 and the other B vitamins are important for the maintenance of healthy brain neurotransmitters.
- Helps in the management of blood pressure levels. The rich magnesium and potassium content of the mango is beneficial in keeping the blood pressure levels under control.
Without a doubt, mango is truly beneficial for the health.