Dermatitis is the universal term that often used in describing a certain irritation of the skin. this condition may have lots of causes and may occur in various forms. Moreover, it usually encompasses a prickly rash on the reddened and swollen skin. this condition can be so irritating and may cause discomfort and uneasiness. Furthermore, depending on the type of dermatitis, it may cause some acute attacks, which may cause crusty scales or even blisters that ooze fluid. Hence, having proper knowledge about it, its types, causes, symptoms, and of course, the treatments for dermatitis are very significant. If you want to know these and more, feel free to give this article a read.
Dermatitis: What is this condition?
Table of Contents
Dermatitis is actually a skin condition that may cause an itching sensation as well as inflammation of the surface of the skin. This is actually a bothersome disease that causes burnings sensation, itching, and swelling. The rashes that the condition may bring can be so itchy, red in color, and may have patterns or margins that do not follow distinctively. Moreover, the appearance of the rash may vary depending on the age of the rash.
Those who are suffering from this condition may experience having blisters, scaling, as well as crusting of the skin. This is particular to those who have subacute dermatitis. On the other hand, those who have chronic dermatitis may experience or suffer from the thickening or hardening of the skin or what they medically call as the lichenification. In various languages, some people misunderstand that eczema and dermatitis are just the same. However, they are by all means not synonymous with each other. Dermatitis may signify an acute condition, while the eczema is a chronic one.
Dermatitis is a condition that is quite common but is not a contagious one. However, it can make you feel uncomfortable and sometimes self-conscious. The good thing is that with the combination of various self-care steps and a number of medications may help in treating the condition.
What are the Types and Corresponding Causes of Dermatitis?
There are various types of dermatitis that have been distinguished by their own responsible agents or cell mechanisms. The following are the types of dermatitis, and their corresponding causes:
- Lichen Simplex Dermatitis: the skin rashes appear in this particular type of dermatitis due to intense scratching. Furthermore, this may also lead to skin thickening and some other skin complications.
- Auto sensitization dermatitis: this type of dermatitis may occur when a different type of skin abrasions show or appear on the skin because of microbial infections. Furthermore, these abrasions may develop into swelling of the skin.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: this is a condition wherein flaky scales of white or yellow may occur on the skin of those who have oily skin. this is what they usually call the acne.
- Nummular dermatitis: in this type of dermatitis, itchy and round patches may appear at random areas in the body. In some worse conditions, the patches may ooze out and possible crusting may appear.
- Dyshidrotic dermatitis: this is often characterized by the scaling, reddening, and small yet deep blisters on the feet and hands.
- Diaper dermatitis: this particular type of dermatitis is due to wearing wet diapers for a long period of time, thus irritating the skin.
- Stasis dermatitis: this gradually increases from the legs and thighs and goes into the ankles.
- Atopic dermatitis: this may result in the long-term hypersensitivity of the skin. those who have this condition may develop allergic reactions that may comprise eczema, asthma, and hay fever.
- Irritant contact dermatitis: this may occur because of exposure to some irritants.
- Allergic contact dermatitis: this may appear as an allergic reaction after getting exposure to various types of antibodies and allergens.
Signs and Symptoms of Dermatitis
Even though all the types of dermatitis has different symptoms, there are some symptoms that are common to all.
- (In newborns) Thick and yellowish scalp rash appears due to diaper rash.
- Circular, itchy, and red patches of crinkly skin.
- Red rash that is restricted to a certain area.
- Greyish-yellow scales that appear in and around the ears, near the eyebrows, or on the scalp.
- Crushed skin that appears on the lower legs or around the ankles.
- Intense and persistent itching.
Treatments for Dermatitis
Here are some of the most beneficial treatments for dermatitis:
- Avoid dry air: this may worsen the condition. hence, avoiding dehumidified air is absolutely one of the most beneficial treatments for dermatitis.
- Avoid scratching: this may break the skin and may cause further infections.
- Foot treatment: this is beneficial in relieving the symptoms of dermatitis.
- Scalp treatments: you may use oils in treating the scalp complications.
- Skin wash: this is a good treatment for dermatitis. Moreover, it also provides relief from various irritations.
Here are some more treatments for dermatitis: