Bacterial or viral infections may take place in our ear. These infections may cause fluid buildup, inflammation, and lingering pain. Furthermore, this ear infection affects anyone, not only the adults or the children, but all. Additionally, the ear infection may also be chronic or acute, thus making it more dangerous for the patient. Hence, it is right and just to know and understand more about this condition. Not only that, the treatments for ear infections are necessary as well. This will be beneficial in treating the condition as well as making us feel better and live longer.
Ear Infection: What is this condition?
Table of Contents
Otitis or ear infection, most often is a viral or bacterial infection, which affects the middle ear. As stated earlier, this condition may cause fluid buildup and inflammation in the internal spaces of the middle part of the ear. These cause the ear infection to get painful since they increase the pressure on the eardrum.
Generally, children are more prone to various infections in the ear, while the adults are more susceptible to some other parts of the body organs. In fact, there is about 90 percent of children in America that suffer from an ear infection. This is even before they attend schooling. More often than not, the condition is treated with antibiotics, which are strong and has no harmful side effects to children. Moreover, the number of adults who experience otitis are fewer than the children.
It is all true that the antibiotics and painkillers may provide quick relief from the condition that is caused by infections. However, these may not cure the condition of its root. But as far as some other treatments for ear infections are concerned with the different home remedies to it, they may help in relieving the problem without causing any side effects.
The ear infection may be acute or chronic. The acute ear infection is quite painful but are for short period time only. On the other hand, the chronic ear infection may either recur many times or do not clear up at all. furthermore, this chronic ear infection may cause some permanent damage to the inner and middle ear.
Types of Ear Infections
Here are the three main categories of ear infections:
- COME –Chronic Otitis Media with Effusion. This refers to the fluid that repeatedly returns to the middle ear. Furthermore, this occurs with or without the presence of infection.
- OME –Otitis Media with Effusion. After having an ear infection, there may still be some left behind fluids in the eardrum. This is where the OME occurs then.
- AOM –Acute Otitis Media. This is the most common and the least severe ear infection. The ear becomes infected and becomes swollen, and the fluid is trapped in the eardrum.
Ear Infections: Causes
The ear infection may occur when one of the Eustachian tubes suddenly becomes blocked and swollen. This cause the buildup of fluid in the middle part of the ear. Here are some more of the most common causes of ear infections:
- Air pressure changes in the ear
- Swollen or infected adenoids
- Excess mucus
- Sinus infections
Ear Infections: Risk Factors
Here are some of the most common factors that may increase the risk of ear infections:
- Recent ear infection or illness
- The use of pacifier
- Cigarette smoke exposure
- Changes in the weather
- Altitude changes
Ear Infections: Symptoms
Here are some of the most common symptoms of the ear infections:
- Loss of appetite
- A headache
- Drainage of the fluid from the ear
- Fever temperature of 38 C or higher
- Loss of balance
- Hard time hearing or responding to sounds
- Acts more irritable than the usual
- Cries more than the usual
- Pulling or tugging at an ear
- Ear pain
- Diminished hearing
- Fluid drainage in the ear
- Ear pain
Treatments for Ear Infections
Here are some of the most beneficial treatments for ear infections:
- Goldenseal and Echinacea: these two famous herbs are beneficial in cleansing the internal systems of the body. Furthermore, this may effectively prevent the ear infections.
- Hot bag pressing: this is a beneficial treatment for getting rid of the ear infection. This is since it completely relieves the pain the condition causes.
- Garlic ear drops: this is one of the best antibacterial treatments for ear infections. applying this to the ears twice a day using even just a few drops may help in relieving the condition from the roots.
- Hydrogen peroxide: this is beneficial in cleaning the infected ear. Moreover, it helps in reducing the severity since it has a compound that has some antibacterial properties. However, adding warm water to it is a must. This is to provide a much better and more soothing effect on the pain the ear infection causes.
- Gentle massage: severe ear aches may be so uncomfortable. This particular treatment for ear infection is beneficial since it will help not just in releasing the pain in a gradual manner, but it can also facilitate further recovery.