Blood clots are collections of sticky cells that form in in the even that the blood vessels got damaged. The body creates the blood clots as a normal response the damage in the blood vessels. Furthermore, since blood clot is an obstruction in the healthy vessel, it may lead to various conditions. Furthermore, this may also happen in any blood vessels and an immediate attention to it is a must. Hence, it is important to learn and understand this condition deeper. Not only that, the treatments for blood clots are also necessary. If you wan to know all of these and more, feel free to give this article a read.
Blood Clots: What is this?
Table of Contents
A blood clot is an obstruction or a blockage of the healthy blood vessels. This may often lead to some tricky conditions. Furthermore, this may happen in any blood vessels in the body and immediate response to it is a must. The condition usually affects those people who are obese, but those who are suffering from other clinical conditions may also suffer from it. If a blood clot is not treated, limb amputation or surgery may be required. There are a lot of effective treatments for blood clots, which are all beneficial for patients who are at risk of the condition. This is since it will make them stay healthy while being active.
The blood clot usually consists of a bulk of red blood cells and some other components of the cells, which clumps together at the injury site to stop the flow of blood in the vessel. After getting the injury, it is important to prevent the possible blood loss as much as possible. On the other hand, if the injury takes place into the healthy blood vessel that’s flowing, then a sudden blockage of the blood flow may happen. This is known as emboli, this rarely occurs. But when it does, it can be so dangerous and may lead to tissue damage or even death.
The blockage of the blood flow may happen at various blood vessel sites, and it may cause various clinical conditions.
Blood Clots: What causes it?
Here are some of then most common causes of blood clots:
- Old age
- Liver condition
- Sickle cell anemia
- Obesity or overweight
- Heart diseases
- High blood pressure
- Genetic factors
- Atherosclerosis or the formation of plaque in the arteries
- Missing components of the blood system
Furthermore, after a surgery or if you are on a plane ride, you may have a higher risk of getting the condition. however, the blood clots may also incur in a spontaneous manner.
The blood clot in the lungs however, is generally because of the clot that forms elsewhere in the body, which travels towards the lungs. This is what they call the pulmonary embolism and this is usually concerned with a medical emergency.
Blood Clots: What are its signs and symptoms?
Some of the signs and symptoms that have been observed to those who have already experienced the condition include:
- Bulge that appears blue
- Excessive pain at the clot site
In the case of pulmonary embolism, the signs and symptoms may include:
- Appearance of blood in a cough
- Heart palpitations
- Chest pain
- Sudden shortness of breath
Treatments for Blood Clots
Below are some of the essential home remedies and treatments for blood clots:
- Stop smoking: smoking complicates the blood clotting situation. This is since it results in the replacement of the oxygen by the carbon monoxide to the starved muscles that surround the veins. Hence, avoiding it is a must.
- Regular exercise: this is very important and beneficial in keeping the blood flow normally. This is one of the most efficient treatments for blood clots and for the overall health.
- Walking: this, and any other physical activities are beneficial in keeping the blood flowing into the various parts of the body. Thus keeping the blood vessels clear.
- Avoid obesity: being obese increases the risk or chances of having blood clots which are associated with heart attacks, atherosclerosis, as well as stroke. Thus avoiding obesity is a good step in preventing the onset of a blood clot.
- Vitamin C: this essential vitamin is also an antioxidant, which is beneficial in maintaining the proper health.
- Celery: this is beneficial in lowering the stress hormones. This is since it contains some active compounds in it.
- Broccoli: the rich fiber content of the broccoli makes it beneficial in getting rid or preventing the onset of a blood clot.
- Folate-rich foods: those foods that are rich in the essential mineral, folate are beneficial in making the brittle arteries more flexible.
- Mustard and canola oil: these types of oil has low fat levels and must be used in cooking, rather than those oils that are rich in fat.
- Medical treatments: the anticoagulant medicines or blood thinners are beneficial in treating blood clots. Furthermore, surgery may also be done to treat it.