Do you often feel a sudden pain in your neck? This can often times become annoying, painful and uncomfortable. Furthermore, it may also cause you to have a difficulty in looking sideways or turn from one direction to another. Not only that, it may also result in the feeling of a headache, shoulder pain, as well as arm pain. This is why it is important to know about the treatments for neck pain or stiff neck. Having enough knowledge about the condition is another thing to look at to be able to know what to avoid and what may cause the onset of the condition. To know all of these, giver this article a read.
Neck Pain: What is this condition?
Table of Contents
The neck is made up of vertebrae, which extends from the skull up to the upper part of the torso. The cervical discs absorb the shock in the bones. The muscles, ligaments, and bones of the neck support the head and allow it for motion. Whatever abnormalities or injury may cause the pain to feel pain and stiffness.
The neck pain or stiff neck is often characterized by the soreness or the difficulty of moving the neck in various directions. The pain may be accompanied by neck pain, arm pain, shoulder pain, as well as a headache. Since it is hard to turn the head in a certain direction, the person experiencing this condition needs to turn his entire body instead of his neck.
A lot of people may have already experienced this condition at least once in their lives. The condition may appear upon waking up in the morning or because of various vigorous activities. In most of the cases of the condition, the pain and the stiffness it causes may go away naturally within just a week. However, how the patient manages and care about the condition may affect the level of pain, the time needed for the recovery, and the likelihood of the condition to return.
Mostly, the neck pain is not that serious of a condition, and may vanish in just a few days. However, in some cases, the neck pain may indicate serious illnesses or injuries and requires the professional’s attention and care. Seeking medical attention is a must when the neck pain continues for more than one week, is austere, or comes with some other symptoms.
Neck Pain: What causes it?
the neck pain or stiff neck may happen for various reasons.
Muscle strain and tension
This is mainly because of the activities and behaviors, like the following:
- Twitching the neck while having exercise.
- Sleeping with the neck in a bad position or posture.
- Working at the desk for too long, without changing the position.
- Having a poor posture.
As we know, the neck is specifically vulnerable to various injuries, most especially in sports, car accidents, or falls. In these events, the ligaments and muscles in the neck are forced to go further than their normal range. When the cervical vertebrae or the neck bones gets fractured, the spinal cord may also get damaged.
The neck pain may also be an indication or an onset of a heart attack. But you can only consider it that way if it comes with any of the following symptoms:
- Jaw or arm pain
- Shortness of breath
The following are some other causes of the neck pain:
- Spinal stenosis
- Herniated cervical disk
- Rheumatoid arthritis
In some of the rare cases of neck pain, it occurs because of:
- Cancer of the spine
- Congenitala bnormalities
Symptoms of Neck Pain
The neck pain or stiff neck may vary in its intensity. This may range from annoyingly discomforting pain to extremely limiting, sharp, and painful feeling. Usually, trying to turn a stiff neck to a certain side or direction may eventually lead to so much pain, which may cause you to stop moving your head towards that particular direction.
Treatments for Neck Pain
Here are some of the most effective treatments for neck pain:
- Epsom salt: this salt has magnesium and sulfate, thus making it beneficial in regulating various enzymes in the body. Furthermore, it is also beneficial in increasing the blood circulation and reduce the muscle and stress tension.
- Ice: this helps in reducing inflammation of the neck. It is the coldness that helps in relieving the soreness of the neck muscle.
- Massage: any pain in the body can be treated with massage. Having a gentle massage or rub may stimulate the blood flow. Furthermore, it is also beneficial in having a better sleep.
- Acupuncture: this help in regulating the function of the body. Furthermore, it also helps in the circulation of the lymph and blood to relieve pain.
- Exercise: this can be a great help in relieving the pain. It will not just treat the condition but it will also make the neck more flexible and reduce its stiffness.