Various activities that require repetitive motions of our hands like writing or typing may cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Furthermore, exposing the hands to a constant stress is the major cause of this particular condition. This particular condition is quite serious, to be honest. This is because it has the potential of numbing your fingers or hands forever. The only thing that you can do is to avail various treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome as soon as the problem arises. In this article, you will get to know more about this condition. If you want to know all of this and more, feel free to read on!
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: What is this condition?
Table of Contents
If you experience a feeling of weakness, numbness, and tingling of the hands, you must ask your doctor to check you for a possible carpal tunnel syndrome.
The carpal tunnel syndrome is actually the compression of the median nerve the moment it goes through the hand. Furthermore, the median nerve can be found on the hand’s palm side. It is the nerve that provides a sensation to the thumb, long finger, index finger, and a part of our ring finger. This is what supplies all the impulse into the muscle through the thumb. The carpal tunnel syndrome may take place in just one or even in both hands.
The swelling inside the wrist may cause the compression in the carpal tunnel syndrome. This may lead to tingling, weakness, and numbness on the side of our hand near our thumb. When the carpal tunnel gets narrowed, it usually results in swelling.
Continue reading to know what causes the condition.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: What causes this disease?
This particular condition is actually caused by the pressure on the median nerve. We know that the median nerve runs from the left arm up to a certain passage in our wrist or what they call the carpal tunnel, and then ends in the hand. Furthermore, the median is what controls the movement and the feeling of our thumb. Moreover, it is also responsible for controlling the movement of all the fingers, except the pinky.
More often than not, people don’t really know what causes their carpal tunnel syndrome. Nevertheless, it may happen because of the following reasons:
- Conditions like diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroidism, and obesity
- Repetitive motions like writing, typing, or various motions of the wrist, which you do repeatedly. This is especially true when the hands are lower than the wrist.
If you don’t treat your carpal tunnel syndrome immediately, the symptoms of it may last a lifetime. Speaking of its symptoms, read on below the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: What are its symptoms?
In the actual fact, the symptoms of the carpal tunnel syndrome may be divided into three different stages.
The first part of the symptoms are typically mild and may include:
- Waking up with numb hands in the morning.
- Pain that can extend up to the elbow.
- Clumsiness while holding objects.
- Problems in moving the fingers.
- The fingers may be affected and may become numb, yet not affect the pinky finger.
- Itching, burning, and tingling sensation in the palm of our hands.
The second stage is moderate and is almost similar to that of the first stage. Nevertheless, you will notice that they occur any time of the day or night. This is an indication that the condition is progressing slowly.
When it is left without any treatments, the carpal tunnel syndrome may cause the median nerve to lose all of its function due to the constant pressure that surrounds it. This just means that the condition has become severe. Right there and then, you will notice the third stage of the symptoms, which include:
- Loss of strength, coordination of the fingers, and the thumb most especially.
- Loss of sensation in all of the fingers.
- Slowing down of the nerve impulses.
The first and second stages of the condition are reversible. Nevertheless, if it is already in the third stage, there will be no treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome that will restore the normal functioning of our nerves.
What are the Treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Here are some of the most effective treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Vics VapoRub. This contains compounds like menthol, eucalyptus oil, and camphor. All of which are beneficial in reducing the inflammation and getting rid of the symptoms of the carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Vitamin B6 diet. Vitamin B6 deficiency usually results from the inflammation due to the carpal tunnel syndrome. Having a diet that is rich in vitamin B6 is very efficient in treating the deficiency and the condition at the same time.
- Pen grips. These are specially designed to alleviate the symptoms of pain, discomfort, which surfaces with the carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Hot massage treatment. This helps in improving the blood circulation in the affected area and reduce the swelling as well as the inflammation.
- Ice packs. This may help in reducing inflammation, pain, as well as swelling, which may occur as a result of the pressure in the affected area.
If you don’t treat your carpal tunnel syndrome immediately, the symptoms of it may last a lifetime. Therefore, you should treat it as soon as possible!