Even though a lot of people are familiar with the term ‘cola’, they may not realize that particular term actually came from the Cola genus. Well, this genus includes the kola tree wherein the kola nut comes from. The kola nut is a powerhouse of various essential nutrients that are beneficial for the overall health. Moreover, these nutrients are also what make up the different health benefits of kola nuts. These include the ability of kola nut to increase the circulation, improve the cognition, raise the energy levels, boost the immunity, prevent various types of cancer, aid in weight loss, increase the heart rate, and optimize the digestion, among others. Give this article a read and get to learn more about kola nut.
Kola Nut: What is this?
Table of Contents
The kola nut is a nut that mainly comes from the kola tree of the Cola genus. This particular tree is actually native to Africa’s tropical rainforests. It contains caffeine in it –this is what makes the kola nut desirable as both an element in alternative medicine and as a food source for various cultures all over the world.
Furthermore, the kola nuts are beneficial as flavoring agents in soda of various varieties. This is actually where the term ‘cola’ came from. The kola nuts are often eaten or chewed in some traditional ceremonies. Even though the most common application of it is as a flavoring agent, the medicinal benefits of kola nut have started to make it a very popular dietary supplement for the health. This is in spite of its bitter taste. Moreover, the kola nut may be available in various energy drinks, performance enhancers, and dietary supplements.
The kola nut is actually a cultural staple in several West African countries. Furthermore, it is also valued for all of its effects as a stimulant for the central nervous system. All over West Africa, almost every market, corner shops, and bus depot have small heaps of kola nuts for sale. It is an important cash crop for poor rural farmers. A lot of people also chew them every day for a daily dose of caffeine. Every nut contains more caffeine than two huge cups of Americano.
In the United States and various western countries, you can encounter kola nut extract more often than the fresh nuts. Well, the extract is what they use as a flavoring in Pepsi Cola and Coca-Cola, among other popular soft drinks and energy drinks.
Nutritional Value of Kola Nuts
The kola nuts have caffeine in it, which acts as an antioxidant for the body. Furthermore, it also has a small amount of theobromine that helps in increasing the energy levels in the body. Additionally, it consists of betaine too –this helps in protecting the formation of DNA. Not only that, it also has proteins in it.
Industrial Uses of Kola Nuts
The mini kola nut is beneficial in various beverages as a flavoring agent. This is the reason why it has gained a popularity in the commercial industries. Furthermore, it is also valuable in the making of chocolate bars. The kola nut has some vital importance in the medicinal field because of a wide range of valuable properties. These nuts are also the traditional fruit of West Africa and most of it, they use as a serving item.
Health Benefits of Kola Nuts
Here are some of the most extravagant health benefits of kola nuts:
- Aids in losing weight. Even though caffeine is an appetite suppressant, the kola nut extracts may also increase the fat-burning process in the body. This is probably due to the great impact on the metabolism, which these nuts ma possess.
- Helps in boosting the immunity. The stem, leaves, and roots of the kola tree possess impulsive compounds, which may help in preventing bacterial infections in the body. These bacterial infections include those that are responsible in causing a wide array of respiratory conditions like tuberculosis, meningitis, and bronchitis.
- Helps in preventing prostate cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of kola nuts. Though research is still ongoing and still a matter of debate, some phytoestrogens and phytoestrogens in the kola nuts are essential in stimulating the apoptosis in the prostate cancer cells.
- Helps in improving the digestion. The active ingredients in the kola nut are essential in improving the nutrient uptake, as well as the digestion. This is while reducing the cramping, bloating, constipation, and constipation, among other serious gastrointestinal conditions.
- Helps in increasing the blood circulation. The kola nuts are essential in stimulating the heart rate and increase the circulation. The kola nuts are essential in boosting the oxygenation to various vital parts of the body, just like the brain, organs, and skin.
- Helps in boosting the metabolism. Due to its high level of caffeine, it is essential in stimulating the body, as well as increase the heart rate. While this may be dangerous to those who suffer from heart conditions, it may provide an important boost to those who has slow metabolism.