I know, you may be so familiar with wheat. But, how about the wheat germ, have you heard, seen, or tried of this before? You may already know that wheat is oozing with so many health-benefiting nutrients, and that’s for a fact. Actually, the same goes with the wheat germ. It possesses various essential nutrients too. All of these make up all the vital health benefits of wheat germ. As a matter of fact, wheat germ is beneficial in boosting the immunity. It also acts as a preservative against cancer and cardiovascular illnesses. Moreover, it also possesses anti-aging properties and may affect the stamina, muscle development, wound healing, and mental agility. Not just that, the nutrients in it also help in the digestion, in weight loss, and in the prevention of the arterial damage. If you want to learn more about the wheat germ, feel free to give this article a read.
Wheat Germ: What is this?
The wheat germ is a part of the wheat kernel, which helps in the natural reproduction of the plant. This small, nutrient-rich center of the wheat kernel comprises just about 2.5 percent of the kernel’s weight, yet is heavyweight in terms of its valuable attributes. Furthermore, the wheat germ contains the nutrients necessary to grow and mature into a new, healthy organism. For so many years, the wheat kernels were mainly used to mill flour, wherein the germ and the bran parts were thrown away casually –the end product, the white flour. This particular kind of flour has little to no nutritional value in it. As a matter of fact, once bleaches and synthetic vitamins are already added to the flour itself, it does more harm than good to the overall health.
When you extract the wheat germ from the kernel and then isolate it into natural oils, or if you eat the grain wholly, the nutritional content of the germ may be passed into the body. More often than not, the oil is used as a baking or cooking oil for more highly concentrated dosages of wheat germ on pasta sauces or salads. Nevertheless, it must not be used in frying as most of its nutrients will get lost if you heat it to that level.
It may act as an addictive in smoothies or desserts or even as a substitute for flour and breadcrumbs in various recipes, convening a lot of nutritional benefits on those who are adding it on their diet plan. Nowadays, people are more careful about their health status. Almost all stores now will sell the raw wheat germ in or all around the cereal aisle. Hence, you need to get creative, and get cooking!
Nutritional Value of Wheat Germ
Even though the wheat germ is so small, the nutrients that it has are very formidable and impressive. The outer shell of the bran or the outer shell of the wheat kernel is valuable too. Nevertheless, the germ possesses more important nutrients, which make it more desirable.
The wheat germ is a powerhouse of protein, complex carbs, fiber, and energy. All of these interact with a lot of ways in the internal systems of the body. Significant daily vitamins like vitamin B, vitamin E, and folate may also be present in high quantities in it. When it comes to the minerals, the wheat germ can provide high levels of iron and potassium. As well as good levels of selenium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and zinc.
Not just that, it also has omega 3 fatty acids in it –this is one of the most important and most valuable forms of cholesterol in the body, which need recurrent filling from the dietary sources, just like the wheat germ.
Health Benefits of Wheat Germ
Here are some of the most fascinating health benefits of wheat germ:
- Helps in preventing diabetes. The abundance of folic acid in wheat germ has an effect on those who are at risk of diabetes. Remember, folic acid is negatively in connection to the compound, homocysteine, which has a connection to a lot of harmful conditions.
- Aids in muscle health. One of the greatest sources of protein in the diet may come in the wheat germ. Bear in mind that protein is an essential part in the maintenance of the healthy muscles, regulating energy levels, aiding in homeostasis, and regulating the energy levels.
- Helps in improving cellular metabolism. The vitamin B content of the wheat germ is essential for the cellular metabolism, aids in the transformation of glucose into consumable energy for the cells, and transform nutrients coming from the carbs.
- Helps in preventing cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of wheat germ. Adding this in the diet is essential for the reduction of the risk of various types of cancer. Even though the small germ that is inside the wheat may not look so impressive, the effects of it are staggering.
- Helps in improving heart health. Studies show that the intake of whole wheat grain may help in reducing the risk factors that come with coronary heart conditions and may increase the overall health status of the cardiovascular system.
Truly, the wheat germ isn’t just small but is also terrible when it comes to health-promoting prowess.