Have you heard or seen a delicata squash before? Have you tasted one? If not, it’s fine. Well, actually, delicata squash is a kind of winter squash which is not just good for various cuisines but is also good for the health. In fact, the health benefits of delicata squash are so many. If you want to know more about this particular type of squash, give this article a read.
Delicata Squash: What is this?
The delicata squash is a winter squash that has a deliciously nutty and creamy taste. Some people also claim that the taste of it is just the same as the sweet potatoes. Thus, it goes with a lot of kinds of dishes. As its own name implies, the delicata squash has a delicate rind. It is also called as sweet potato squash, Bohemian squash, or peanut squash. Even though people consume it mature as a kind of winter squash, it actually belongs to the very same species as most kinds of summer squash. This particular variety of winter squash actually differs from the other types because of its soft texture. This is not the same as the other winter squash like the spaghetti squash and butternut squash. It can easily be chopped and sliced and does not even require any roasting or baking to make its flesh softer.
Moreover, it is often described as a long-oblong-shaped squash that has a cream color, green stripes, and thick outer skin or rind. Its inner flesh is gold in color, and finely-textured. Furthermore, it is considered as a novelty squash. The size of it may range from 5 up to 10 inches long, with an average weight of about 1 to 2 lbs.
The delicata squash may be baked or even steamed. You may also serve it as a side dish, seasoned with butter and some herbs. For the reason that it holds its own shape when you cook it, it is the perfect edible bowl for you. You can stuff and bake it with meat, and other delicious foods. Since it is the same with the nutritional profile of the butternut squash, it is a healthy alternative.
Delicata Squash: Nutritional Profile
Some of the nutrients in the delicata squash include potassium, folate, protein, zinc, dietary fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin A, among the others. Furthermore, there also are some key antioxidants, which may be available in the squash. Thus making it a desirable food for those who want a healthy diet. Now, let’s take a look at the nutritional facts of the butternut squash (100 grams serving):
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.1 grams||0.5%|
|Dietary Fiber||2 grams||5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.400 milligrams||8%|
|Vitamin A||10630 IU||354%|
|Vitamin C||21 milligrams||35%|
|Vitamin E||1.44 milligrams||10%|
|Vitamin K||1.1 µg||1%|
Health Benefits of Delicata Squash
Here are some of the most interesting health benefits of delicata squash:
- Helps in warding off illnesses. The delicata squash is one of the main vitamin C foods. We know that vitamin C is capable of providing a lot of benefits. Even though studies are still on going regarding how it is really effective in fighting the cold, evidence proposes that it is essential in boosting the immunity.
- May enhance the eyesight. The delicata squash has a rich content of vitamin A. We are all aware that vitamin A is important for a good vision and a healthy eyesight. Lacking vitamin A may not produce the pigments necessary to see the full spectrum light. This may lead to various eye conditions, like dry eyes and night blindness.
- Help in building healthy bones and reduce the risk of osteoporosis. Calcium is beneficial for the promotion of strong and healthy teeth and bones, the delicata squash has calcium in it, which is beneficial in strengthening the bones, most especially when we grow older.
- Helps in the production of healthy cells. The delicata squash is essential in producing iron. This is essential in the healthy production of cells in the body. We know that iron is beneficial in the formation of proteins, which are capable of providing oxygen to the bloodstream, body, and muscles.
- Provides a lot of fiber content. The delicata squash is rich in fiber. The skin of it, in particular, is oozing with so much fiber. Remember, fiber is very important in normalizing the bowel movements, help in lowering the cholesterol levels and help in controlling the blood sugar levels.
- Great option for gluten-free food. The delicata squash can be a good alternative or substitute for pasta, as pasta has a lot of gluten in it. This is one of the best health benefits of delicata squash, especially to those who are intolerant of gluten.