Have you ever tried eating brown rice? Well, aside from the white rice that we usually see and eat, this particular rice is amazingly healthy. As a matter of fact, brown rice possesses a lot of health benefits. These health benefits of brown rice include the better functioning of the cardiovascular system, nervous system, brain, and digestive system. Furthermore, it is also rich in various powerful antioxidants, which is capable of providing relief from various illnesses, including skin conditions, mental depression, stress, cholesterol, unhealthy LDL levels, and hypertension. Moreover, the high nutritional facts of brown rice also prove effective in some medical conditions, including obesity, cancer, diabetes, insomnia, and neurodegenerative conditions. There is more to brown rice than meets the eye. If you want to learn more about the brown rice, give this article a read.
Brown Rice: What is this?
Table of Contents
The brown rice is an unpolished and unrefined whole grain that is produced by way of removing the surrounding hull of the kernel. Furthermore, the grain of this rice retains its berm layer and nutrient-rich bran. This is much chewier compared to the white variety. It also has a nutty flavor, making it a great option if you are sick of the white ones.
Some say that brown rice is much better than the white ones. Even though the white rice may look more appealing to some people than the brown ones, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a healthier alternative. Based on one study, brown rice is the topmost choice when it comes to both healthy and nutritional benefits.
Germinated Brown Rice
The germinated brown rice or the sprouted brown rice is yet another popular form of the brown rice that attributes to its great nutritional value. The high content of the germinated brown rice is because of the presence of the GABA or gamma-aminobutyric acid. Furthermore, you can only obtain the germinated brown by sprouting and soaking the brown rice in water for hours.
That particular method is actually the best way to elevating the protein levels and obtaining the maximum levels of GABA, and good enzymes in the germinated brown rice. Moreover, the germination process may also lead to a significant increase in the essential components like dietary fiber, thiamine, vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin E, potassium, magnesium, lysine, and ferulic acid in brown rice.
All of the aforementioned nutrients are beneficial in the better absorption during the digestion and prevent any intestinal irritations, allergies, and inflammations. It may be stored in the dried form in order to increase its shelf life. This is without affecting the nutritional content of it.
Brown Rice: Why eat it?
Most of us are well aware that brown rice is much better than white rice. The reason that makes it stand out among the rest is the quantity and the quality of nutrients. Furthermore, the process of milling, which converts brown rice to white, strips away most of the nutritional content. The brown rice retains its nutritional content. There are lots of varieties of brown rice in the market.
Nutritional Facts of Brown Rice
The brown rice is a natural healthful food. It is actually rich in minerals like potassium, magnesium, selenium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, iron, and manganese. Furthermore, its wealth of vitamins include vitamins like vitamin K, vitamin E, folate, vitamin B6, vitamin B3, vitamin B2, and vitamin B1. In addition, it is also a source of protein and adds a great amount of fiber to the diet. Alongside this, it is also essential in providing a health-beneficial fatty acid.
Health benefits of Brown Rice
Here are some of the most marvelous health benefits of brown rice:
- Helps in preventing cancer. The brown rice is essential in the prevention of leukemia, breast cancer, and colon cancer. This great effect may be linked to the presence of the powerful antioxidants and high content of fiber in it. This one is actually one of the best health benefits of brown rice.
- Helps in controlling cholesterol levels. The brown rice is a good option for the maintenance of healthy cholesterol levels, because of the presence of the oils. Studies show that brown rice is really great at increasing the levels of good cholesterol and reducing the bad ones.
- Helps in boosting heart health. The brown rice is essential for heart health. the consumption of the whole grains like the brown rice is beneficial in reducing the blockage of the arteries because of the plaque buildup.
- Helps in improving digestive health. The brown rice is a beneficial staple that may be a good addition to the diet for keeping the healthy digestive system. Furthermore, the fiber content of the brown rice is essential in bringing relief for conditions like colitis and constipation.
- Helps in controlling diabetes. The brown rice is essential in treating diabetes. It is also essential for those who are hyperglycemic. Furthermore, it also has a low glycemic index that helps in the reduction of insulin surges and may assist in blood sugar level stabilization.