You probably have already heard, seen or tried yogurt, don’t you? Well, this amazing dairy product is actually very popular all over the world. A lot of people love it for its astounding taste or its unique flavor. However, this isn’t the only good thing about yogurt. As a matter of fact, yogurt is oozing with so many essential nutrients in it. All of which is what collectively make up all the necessary health benefits of yogurt. Give this article a read and get to know more about this amazing dairy product. Worry less, because you will surely learn a lot from this article!
Yogurt: What is this?
The traditional probiotic yogurt is actually made from a dairy that is fermented into a creamy food that is rich in various good probiotics. Not just that, it is also a balanced source of essential vitamins and minerals, carbohydrates, fats, and protein. Moreover, yogurt is also considered as a superfood. When you source it from the grass-fed goats or cows, the nutrition of it gets maximized, supplying more essential probiotics, enzymes, vitamin K2, vitamin D, potassium, magnesium, etc.
The dairy-based yogurt may come from the sheep’s milk or the goat’s milk. Nevertheless, the traditional cow’s milk is still the most famous among all. Furthermore, the yogurt is the most consumed among all the fermented products in the United States in today’s day and time. The second one is the kefir.
Furthermore, it is also believed that the fermenting process of the dairy milk can be traced back over 6000 years ago to Central Asia. It is actually their way of preserving the milk before. Various historical records also place yogurt in the countries of Turkey, Persia, and India not so long after it’s seen in the Central Asia.
Moreover, yogurt was also valuable for its multitude of uses and creamy texture. In the actual fact, back then, fresh milk was often carried in the animals’ stomach lining. A lot of people actually believe that healthy bacteria, together with the climate contribute to the process of fermentation.
In today’s day and time, however, the process is way different. The dairy milk are being heated to the point that it already kills the existing bacteria. This is the process of pasteurization –here, a certain live bacteria starter culture is being introduced, and then the milk is being allowed to ferment for hours until it becomes thick, tart, and rich.
Nutritional Facts of Yogurt
Phosphorus, calcium, riboflavin, zinc, potassium, pantothenic acid, vitamin B12, and protein make up the nutritional profile of the yogurt. Therefore, it is really a complete food, which has the proper amount or balance of carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Even just a serving of yogurt may already provide about 25% of the daily value need of protein and about 50% of the daily value need of calcium.
Furthermore, the essential fatty acid: CLA or conjugated linoleic acid is not producible by the body. Good thing yogurt is a good source of it. This particular fatty acid is essential in reducing the risk of a heart condition. Moreover, it also helps in reducing the belly fat, strengthen the immunity, increase the metabolism, lower the levels of cholesterol in the body, negate chemically-induced cancer, and many more.
In addition, the probiotics in the yogurt help in stimulating the digestive function. Not just that, it also helps in the production of vitamin K and vitamin B12. The key in getting the best yogurt is to look for the ones that contain live and active cultures –these are the ones that you need!
Health Benefits of Yogurt
Here are some of the most mesmerizing health benefits of yogurt:
- Helps in regulating moods. Research suggests that the consumption of yogurt regularly is beneficial in controlling the emotions more and reduces anxiety. This is essential for those who suffer from mood disorders.
- Helps in reducing bad cholesterol. The live probiotics in yogurt help in reducing the levels of cholesterol in the bloodstream. Studies suggest that the regular intake of probiotic is essential in reducing the risk of coronary heart disease by about 6-10%.
- Helps in reducing high blood pressure. There are about 600 milligrams of potassium in every 8oz. of yogurt. This is essential in reducing the blood pressure levels. Not just that, it is also beneficial in the reduction of sodium absorption.
- Helps in boosting the immunity. Recent studies suggest that probiotics in yogurt are essential in improving the gut mucosal immunity through increasing the cytokine-producing cells found in the intestine.
- Helps in lowering the risk of colorectal cancer. A large study suggests that the consumption of yogurt is essential in protecting against colorectal cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of yogurt.
- Helps in lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes. Studies show that the high consumption of probiotic is essential in the reduction of the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. This is because yogurt is essential in supporting the digestion as well as the absorption of nutrients all over the digestive tract.