The black gram is a type of bean that grows in the Indian subcontinent. Furthermore, one of the most nutritious beans in the whole world is the black gram. A lot of people say this, but if you have doubt, it is okay. You can read this article for your doubt on this legume disappear. I may sound a bit bragging, but I really am not. The black gram is really oozing with so many nutrients, which are all essential for the health. Give this article a read to know more about the health benefits of black gram and many other important facts about it.
What is Black Gram?
Table of Contents
You may know about the black gram before. Nevertheless, you know it by different names. Some people call it matpe beans, black lentils, or even mungo beans. Believe me, these names are all describing the very same impressive type of a bean. Scientifically, the black gram is known as the Wigna mungo.
Moreover, the black gram is a legume that is cultivated on the subcontinent of India for so many years now. Furthermore, it has already become one of the most significant pulse variety in that region of the world. It is not just valued because of its robust capacity to grow in any challenging conditions, as well as its widespread availability, yet also for its own dense mixture of necessary nutrients. Moreover, the black gram is often sold as a completely un-split bean in various regions. Nonetheless, there are also cracked open varieties of the beans. These varieties show the white flesh within it, thus making them more recognizable in the market.
Moreover, the black gram is beneficial for those who make dal. Nevertheless, it also plays a huge role in various cultural dishes in South Asia and India. The black gram is one indispensable part of various exotic cuisines. Nonetheless, black gram beans are also rich in various essential nutrients, essential vitamins and minerals, fiber, protein, and antioxidant properties, which are beneficial in boosting the health in a lot of ways. While these are not the most typically present type of beans in various parts of the world, you may commonly find them all over the world. Not just that, once you have tried it, you will surely make them one of your top choices for bean!
Nutritional Content of Black Gram
100 grams of raw and mature seeds of black gram contain the following nutrients:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||1.64 grams||8%|
|Dietary Fiber||18.3 grams||48%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.906 milligrams||18%|
Selection and Storage of Black Gram
The farmers do the harvesting of black gram when the whole plant, as well as the seed pods, already turn yellow. The stacks are being dried under the sun. The methods of winnowing and threshing employ for the separation of the seeds.
Furthermore, the black gram beans are readily available in various stores all year long. If you want to avail some, you must buy pleasing bold-black dry seeds that are in packets and bins. The spit, cleaned, and hulled beans are also available in some shops.
At home, you may store dry the beans in a metallic bin or an air-sealed bin and keep it in a dry, cool place away from humidity and high temperature.
Health Benefits of Black Gram
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of a black gram:
- Helps in protecting the health of the heart. The potassium, magnesium, and fiber in black gram are essential in doing lots of wonders for the heart health. Furthermore, the fiber is an effective way to balance the levels of cholesterol in the body, as well as prevent atherosclerosis.
- Helps in reducing pain and inflammation. The black gram is one of the most trusted and oldest Ayurveda remedies. The combination of various essential vitamins and minerals may help in soothing the irritated areas of the body.
- Helps in taking care of the skin. In the Ayurveda medicines, the pastes and decoctions from black gram are concentrated with vitamins and minerals. This is perfect for relieving the inflammation, promote the rapid exfoliation and healing, exfoliation, as well as stimulate the flow of the oxygenated blood through the surface of the skin.
- Helps in preventing diabetes. The fiber content of the black gram is beneficial for those who suffer from diabetes. This is since the fiber is essential in the regulation of the uptake of nutrients on the gut. This is one of the best health benefits of black gram.
- Helps in improving the digestion. Just like any other beans, the black gram is high in fiber. This is beneficial in treating gastrointestinal conditions. Furthermore, the dietary fiber is also essential in bulking up the stool and stimulate the peristaltic motion.