Have you heard of the saw palmetto before? Are you familiar with what this plant is? Actually, saw palmetto is a kind of fan palm, which is native to North America. This plant is oozing with so many essential nutrients that are all essential for the general health. Moreover, these nutrients are also what make up all the necessary health benefits of saw palmetto. This includes its ability to improve the immunity, increase4 the nutrient uptake, boost the muscle mass, improve the kidney health, reduce impotence, stimulate sexual activity, protect against prostate cancer, and improve the hair health, among others. There is more to saw palmetto than meets the eye. Give this article a read and learn more about this plant.
Saw Palmetto: What is this?
Table of Contents
As what I have said earlier, saw palmetto is a kind of fan palm that is native to North America. Mainly, you can find it near the Eastern Gulf Coasts. Scientifically, this unusual plant is what they call, Serenoa repens. The distinct characteristics of saw palmetto are what makes it the only species available in the genus of Serenoa. Furthermore, saw palmetto is a greatly hardy, long-lived plant. In fact, some of this plant species live for more than 700 years. Moreover, the maximum height of the saw palm is just 10 feet and has the tendency to grow in huge clumps or bushes, usually among the palm woods’ roots.
Additionally, the plants’ petiole is being covered with spines or sharp teeth that can break the skin, thus giving the plant its typical name. Nevertheless, the fruit of the plant is the most valuable. This is since it is a food source for both animals and humans. You can easily distinguish saw palmetto because of its black or reddish-brown color. The traditional use of this particular drupe fruit may vary significantly. This is due to its distinct composition of organic compounds. This is what makes it beneficial in treating a lot of health illnesses.
You can eat the fruit of the saw palmetto plant in its own natural form or in extracts. Not only that, but you can also consume it in tablet, tincture, or capsule forms. Moreover, there’s also a high concentration of fatty acids and sterols in the saw palmetto extracts. This is where most of the health benefits of saw palmetto come from. The powerful compounds in it may complicate the chemical passage of some other medications. Make sure to confer with your doctor before starting any treatments with saw palmetto.
Uses of Saw Palmetto
In the field of alternative medicine, saw palmetto is essential in treating various health conditions, just like chronic pelvic pain syndrome, benign prostatic hypertrophy, asthma, sore throat, prostate cancer, migraine, coughs, and colds, among others. Furthermore, saw palmetto is also essential in increasing libido and alleviate stress.
Health Benefits of Saw Palmetto
Here are some of the most interesting health benefits of saw palmetto:
- Helps in boosting the immunity. This is one of the most unpopular health benefits to saw palmetto supplement or extracts. Nevertheless, they are known to help in giving the immune system a boost, specifically for mild illnesses like sore throats, coughs, and colds.
- Helps in increasing the muscle mass. A lot of bodybuilders and gym goers use the saw palmetto as their workout supplement.
- Helps in preventing prostate cancer. The saw palmetto extract may help in reducing the enlargement of the prostate by inhibiting the dihydrotestosterone that stimulates the cellular reproduction in the prostate. This now lowers the chances of developing prostate cancer, getting rid of painful urination, as well as the discomfort that comes with the prostate conditions.
- Helps in reducing kidney conditions. Research suggests that the saw palmetto possesses strong chemical components, which may strengthen the urinary organs to prevent incontinence.
- Helps in increasing libido. The saw palmetto helps in increasing the libido and sex drive in both men and women.
- Helps in treating impotence. The saw palmetto extract is beneficial in treating impotence. Research actually shows that it is really beneficial in boosting sexual performance, as well as increase the virility.
- Aids in hair care. Because of its hormonal impact on the body, some men use the saw palmetto to stimulate hair growth while aging. Studies show a negative relationship between the use of saw palmetto and the symptoms of male-pattern baldness. So, if your hair starts to thin out, take some supplements to bring it back.
Side Effects of Saw Palmetto
The saw palmetto appears to be so beneficial for the overall wellness and health, specifically when it comes to the male reproductive and sexual health. However, it may also interact with the prostate medication and blood thinners negatively. Therefore, always make sure that you consult with your doctor before you add these supplements to the daily regimen.
The side effects of saw palmetto may include the following:
- Stomach ache
- Bad breath
In addition to that, some men who take saw palmetto also report some cases of changes in sexual desire, breast enlargement or tenderness, and erectile dysfunction, among others.