Some consider cranberries as a sexy fruit. This is mainly because the first thing that comes to mind seeing it is romance. Maybe you are asking, why? Well, this is because of the round shape and glossy scarlet red color nature has given it. Furthermore, the taste of it is very tart and bitter, it sometimes taste sour, however, it is filled with so many antioxidant properties and ample amount of essential vitamins and minerals. Yes, this sexy yet bitter-tasting fruit is oozing with so many nutrients. These nutrients are what makes the health benefits of cranberries. If you want to know more about this fruit, feel free to give this article a read.
Cranberry: What is this fruit?
Actually, cranberry is a group of evergreen small shrub or a trailing vine, which is a member of the Oxycoccus genus of the Vaccinium genus. In Great Britain, cranberry may raise the Vaccinium oxycoccos, the native species. While in North America, the fruit may refer to the Vaccinium macrocarpon.
The Vaccinium oxycoccos is cultured in the central, as well as in Northern Europe. On the other hand, the Vaccinium macrocarpon is cultured all throughout Chile, Canada, and the United States. Moreover, in some other methods of classification, the oxycoccus is considered as a genus on its own. Furthermore, they may also be available in acidic bogs all throughout some cooler regions of the North Hemisphere.
Moreover, cranberry is a low creeping vine or shrub, which grows up to about 2 meters long and 5-20 centimeters in height. The stems of it are wiry and are slender, which are not thickly woody and have some small evergreen leaves. Its flowers are in dark pink color, with very distinct petals, thus leaving the stamens and style pointing forward and fully exposed. Furthermore, they are also pollinated by bees. The fruit of the plant or its berry is actually larger than the leaves of it. Initially, it is light green in color and becomes red when ripe. It is also edible, however, it has an acidic taste, which usually overpowers its own sweetness.
Cranberry is one of the major commercial crops in some of the states in America, as well as in the provinces in Canada. Most of the cranberries are actually processed in some products like jams, sauce, juice, etc. however, it is also sold fresh in some markets.
Nutritional Value of Cranberry
|PRINCIPLE||Amount||% DAILY VALUE|
|Total Fat||0.13 grams||<1%|
|Dietary Fiber||4.6 grams||12%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.295 milligrams||6%|
|Vitamin A||60 IU||2%|
|Vitamin C||13.3 milligrams||22%|
|Vitamin E||1.20 milligrams||8%|
|Vitamin K||5.1 µg||4%|
Health Benefits of Cranberries
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of cranberries:
- Helps prevent scurvy: the insufficient amount of vitamin C in the body may result in the onset of scurvy. The cranberries may provide great levels of vitamin C, which is very important for the body to create collagen. It is the main component that is responsible for the tissues’ healthy functioning.
- Aids in weight loss: the rich organic acids in the cranberry juice is beneficial in emulsifying the fat deposits in the body. Thus making it good for those who want to lose weight.
- Helps to strengthen the bones and teeth: even though cranberry juice is a natural source of calcium, some manufacturers add extra calcium to their cranberry juice products. Thus making it beneficial in making the teeth and bones much stronger.
- Helps in preventing cancer: the cranberry has proanthocyanidins, which is beneficial in inhibiting the growth of some cancerous cells. Furthermore, the cranberry juice also has anti-carcinogenic properties, which help in interfering the growth of the cancer cells, specifically those that are in connection with prostate and colon. This is one of the best health benefits of cranberries.
- Helps in improving the cardiovascular health: the cranberry juice is beneficial in reducing the risk of cardiovascular illnesses and assist in the sustaining of cardiovascular health. This is thanks to the flavonoids the fruit has.
- Has antitumor effects: the cranberry juice has anti-tumor effects because of the polyphenolic compounds in the fruit.
- Helps in preventing UTI: research shows that by drinking cranberry juice, the risk of UTI may get reduced. This is most especially for those who have the condition.