Do you know the so-called winged bean? If yes, you will definitely not deny the fact that this type of bean is considered to be a total package. This vegetable is packed with nutrition that really offers us many benefits. Not just that, the health benefits of winged bean are all astounding!
If you are new to this or you have not much information about this, don’t worry because this vegetable will be our topic in this article. To know more about this bean, continue reading below.
What is it?
Winged bean which has a scientific name Psophocarpus tetragonolobus is a tropical legume which is native to the New Guinea. This type of bean is also known as Goa bean, Dragon bean, Manila bean, four-cornered bean and four-cornered bean.
This vegetable will grow in the countries that are humid and lavishly hot like India, Indonesia, Burma, Sri Lanka, Thailand and the Philippines. This is a climbing plant that belongs to the Fabaceae which is a legume family and is quite similar to the ordinary garden pole bean in terms of appearance and also the growth habit. It is popular because of the reason that the almost all of the plant’s parts are used in the cuisines in East Asia.
This vegetable is a twinning and climbing vine. It is growing up from 2 to 4 meters long and can be found in humid and hot equatorial zone or humid tropics with short daylight, abundant rainfall, and good moisture. This has the fusiform, fleshy and tuberous roots and a ridged and glabrous stem. The leaves of it have the color of various shades of greens and the leaflets have the light-green color. The flowers have a variety of color like pale sky blue, reddish brown and also white that will depend on the cultivators. This vegetable is available during the months of summer.
The plant of this vegetable produces a pea-like bean that has four winged edges. The pods are either oblong-linear, curve too long, straight or flexuous and has a length that ranges from 15 to 30 cm long and 2.5 to 3.5 cm wide. The color varies from yellow-green, green, purple or green with the purplish red wings that turn brown when they are fully ripe. The pod has a white colored flesh and a waxy skin. The best picked is when the pods are young in order for it to be eaten.
Aside from the delightful taste of the nutty flavor, this bean contains vitamins and minerals. It contains a low amount of Saturated fats, Sodium, and Cholesterol. It is a very good source of Protein, Zinc, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Niacin, Riboflavin, and Thiamin.
Below is the list of the nutrient content that you can get from 1 cup (100 g) of this bean:
|Principle||Nutrient value||% of Recommended Dietary Allowance|
|Vitamin A||8090 IU||162%|
|Vitamin C||45 milligrams||75%|
|Vitamin B6||0.2 milligrams||12%|
Health Benefits of Winged Bean
As said earlier, almost all part of the plant of this vegetable can be eaten. We already have the knowledge that these plants contain many nutrients and that means also that it gives us many health benefits. So below is the list of the health benefits of winged bean we can get from eating this vegetable.
- Helps in ensuring a healthy pregnancy. This vegetable contains a folate that is essential for the synthesis of the DNA and also for the cell division. A woman who has an adequate amount of folate during pregnancy can help in preventing birth defects. This vegetable also has an iron that is essential to lower the risk of having a low birth weight and also helps in avoiding maternal anemia.
- Helps in preventing the Premature Aging. This vegetable contains Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and copper that work as an antioxidant. An antioxidant has an enzyme that is called as superoxide dismutase.
- Helps to strengthen immunity. This vegetable contains Vitamin A and Vitamin C which helps to boost the immune system. By having a stronger immune system, the body will be capable of fighting commonly diseased like flu and cold.
- Helps in order to have a proper digestion. This vegetable contains a range of sugars. The sugars help the probiotic bacteria’s development in our gut region by nourishing the probiotic bacteria. And because of that, our bodies become capable of breaking down fruits into the nutrients that are needed by us.
- Helps in losing weight. This vegetable contains a low amount of calories and has a fiber also. Fiber makes you feel full and that means eating less. This is one of the best health benefits of winged bean.
The winged bean is surely a nutritious food that we have to eat. Not only that it is packed with nutrients, it also a budget-friendly vegetable. Also, what more amazing is that you get to eat almost all the parts of the plant of this vegetable. This means that every part is tasty and contains vitamins and minerals. There are many nutrients that we get from this vegetable and also a list of many benefits. So if you want to try, try now and if you are new to this vegetable, try it now and surely you will not regret it.