With all the variety of fruits and vegetables in your local market as well as in the farmer’s market, it is hard to tell what are the beneficial foods that you are missing out. One of which is chayote. Just like tomato, chayote is actually a fruit but is often referred to as a vegetable. This small fruit is actually not just a good ingredient for various meals. It also has a lot of astounding health benefits. Not only that, the health benefits of chayote are all incredibly staggering and are all for the betterment of the overall health. If you want to know more information about the amazing chayote, feel free to give this article a read.
What is Chayote?
Chayote (chi-OH-tay) is a small and pale green fruit. Yes, you’ve read it right, chayote is a fruit and is not a vegetable at all. Furthermore, the fruit actually resembles a pear. And is in fact, also known as the vegetable pear, mango squash, or alligator pear. Moreover, chayote is a famous ingredient that can be in a variety of Latin American, Indian, as well as Mexican dishes.
Furthermore, chayote is related to the cucumber as well as in zucchini. Additionally, it tastes is somewhat sweet and is mild. In the seasons of September up to May, you may find chayote in various supermarkets all year round. What makes chayote beneficial as a fruit or vegetable (as some say) is that it is low in calories and is oozing with vitamins, minerals, and some other nutrients.
Moreover, chayote, being a gourd plant, is eaten just the same as summer squash, melons, and cucumbers. You may add fresh chayote to your salads or you may add them with meat or in some other vegetarian dishes. Also, the plant in whole, as well as the fruit itself, the leaves and the stems have manifold nutrients and has anti-inflammatory properties, which can be beneficial in treating high blood pressure, indigestion, as well as kidney stones. One of the best health benefits of chayote is that it can also be beneficial in supporting weight loss. This is since chayote is low in calorie content and is fibrous.
Nutritional Facts of Chayote
If you are to look for a low-calorie vegetable that’s is equally tasty and healthy, then you must go for chayote. There are only about 16 calories per 100 grams of chayote serving. This is perfect for those who are watching their weight but do not want to settle on the taste.
100 gram-serving size of raw chayote contains:
|Amount per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories from fat||1||–|
|Total Fat||0 gram||0%|
|Saturated Fat||0 gram||0%|
|Total Carbohydrates||5 grams||2%|
|Dietary Fiber||2 grams||7 %|
|Calcium 2%||Vitamin A 0%|
|Iron 2%||Vitamin C 13%|
Take note: The % daily values that are included above are actually based on a 2000 calorie diet. The daily values may become higher or lower. It depends on your calorie needs.
Health Benefits of Chayote
Here are the most staggering health benefits of chayote:
- Helps in preventing heart disease: there are various essential vitamins in chayote that are beneficial for the body health. One of which is vitamin C, because of it being an antioxidant, it is beneficial for the prevention of the occurrence of various diseases, including heart illness.
- Helps in lowering blood pressure: chayote is beneficial in reducing the high blood pressure. This is a fact and the study is conducted by a popular university.
- Helps in preventing constipation: by way of adding chayote in the meal, it can add fiber intake that is essential for the body. The dietary fiber can be beneficial in the digestion process of the body so that it can prevent constipation.
- Helps prevent premature aging: the flavonoid content of chayote is good enough, thus making it beneficial for the body in getting rid of the harmful substances.
- Gives enough stamina for the body: the potassium content of chayote is what makes it beneficial as a source of stamina for the body. In fact, it has about 125 milligrams of potassium in just 100 grams of it.
- Helps in preventing cancer: the antioxidant content that lies in chayote is luteolin and apigenin. These two antioxidants are beneficial in fighting off and getting rid of the free radicals that may cause cancer.
- Helps in lowering the levels of cholesterol: there is no saturated fat in chayote, thus it can mean that it is beneficial in controlling the high cholesterol levels.
- Helps in losing weight: this is what others consider to be the most amazing health benefits of chayote. Since it is low in calorie content and has enough amount of dietary fiber, it can be of a great help in shedding off that extra fat.