Galia melons –do you know what this is? Have you seen one before? Well, actually, galia melons are thought to have their origin in India. Nevertheless, this particular type of melon is actually a hybrid cultivar, which comes primarily in India. It has a lot of essential nutrients, which are all beneficial for overall health. Furthermore, all of these nutrients are also what make up the necessary health benefits of galia melons. These health benefits include the ability of galia melons to treat diabetes, protect the heart health, improve digestive and vision processes, prevent various types of cancer, boost the immunity, and many others. Give this article a read to learn more about this kind of melon!
Galia Melons: What are these?
Even though some people believe that galia melons came all the way from India, the fruit is actually a hybrid cultivar of the honeydew melon and cantaloupe that comes mainly in Israel. Scientifically, they call these melons, Cucumis melo var. reticulatus. Furthermore, it is very closely in relation the other two melons where it came from originally.
Moreover, the outer husk of the galia melon is quite similar to that of the texture and pattern of cantaloupe. Nevertheless, the inner flesh of the fruit itself is yellow to green in color. This is what makes it so much like the honeydew melon.
Furthermore, the taste of the galia melon is actually a distinct combination of the honeydew lemon and cantaloupe. This particular taste that it has is what make people love it even more. Just like any other melons, there isn’t much else to do with the galia melons, but to eat them fresh. In addition, the size of galia melons are just about half the size of a cantaloupe. Therefore, if you want to enjoy it even more, you will need to buy some more!
Moreover, galia melons are more than just some kind of summer snacks. You can add them into salads for the extra nutrition and you can make some chilled smoothie that is rich in vitamins and minerals. In addition, this fruit has several healthy properties, just like folic acid that is beneficial for the healthy development of fetus and for pregnant women. Not only that, those who are overweight or obese can also enjoy it as one of their healthy snacks in between meals. The galia melons are great for the kidney health because of the immense water content of it. Consuming this in a regular basis is also essential in delaying aging.
Nutritional Facts of Galia Melons
The galia melons are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, bioflavonoids, carotenoids, various minerals, like iron, potassium, and calcium. Not only that, it also has significant amounts of dietary fiber, just like pectin. There is also no fat in it, low calories level, and has no cholesterol. Please refer to the table below to learn more about the nutritional value of galia melons:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.19 grams||<1%|
|Dietary Fiber||0.9 grams||2.25%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.105 milligrams||2%|
|Vitamin A||3382 IU||112%|
|Vitamin C||36.7 milligrams||61%|
|Vitamin E||0.05 milligrams||0.5%|
|Vitamin K||2.5 micrograms||2%|
Health Benefits of Galia Melons
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of galia melons:
- Helps in controlling diabetes. The pectin content of galia melons may be beneficial in preventing diabetes. This is since pectin and some other forms of dietary fiber regulate the release of sugar in the bloodstream from simple sugar to carbs.
- Helps in improving the vision. The vitamin A content of galia melons possesses carotenoids, which specifically helps in protecting the eyesight. The beta-carotene of it, on the other hand, helps in preventing macular degeneration.
- Helps in boosting the immunity. The galia melons are rich in nutrients like vitamin C, which helps in stimulating the immunity. Furthermore, the bioflavonoids, carotenoids, and vitamin A are essential in acting as antioxidants that help protect the body against illnesses. This is one of the best health benefits of galia melons.
- Aids in digestion. The dietary fiber in the galia melons, specifically the soluble fiber like the pectin are high. This is essential in bulking up the stool and eliminate constipation, as well as some other gastrointestinal conditions.
- Helps in regulating the heart health. With the high levels of dietary fiber in galia melons, the fruit is able to reduce the bad cholesterol in the body that may help in protecting against atherosclerosis. Furthermore, because of its potassium content that acts as vasodilator, the blood pressure can get lower.
There is no doubt, galia melons are really beneficial for the health!