You may know what palm tree is, and you may know that this particular tree is somewhat a tree of life. But do you know that there is something inside of it that is jam-packed with essential nutrients and a lot of health benefits? I am talking about the heart of palm, which has recently enjoyed some merited recognition for its distinct texture, and delicious flavor. Moreover, the health benefits of heart of palm are also something to look out for!
The rich fiber, good amount of protein, and low glycemic index makes the heart of palm a good addition to the vegan diets, healing diets, as well as in the low-carb diet. The healing diet, as we know, is focused on the reduction of the inflammation, and the lowering of the blood sugar. This is in order to optimize the overall health status. The heart of palm is also a good addition for various dishes.
Additionally, the health benefits of heart of palm may include improved immunity, enhanced weight loss, and better digestive health. If you want to know more about the heart of palm, continue giving this article a read!
Heart of Palm: What is this?
Table of Contents
In the actual fact, the heart of palm is a vegetable, which is harvested from the inner core of various palm tree species. When you harvest the heart of palm, you will need to cut down the tree itself and remove the bark and the fibers. Even though they are produced in various areas, most of the fresh hearts of palm are coming from Costa Rica.
The taste of the heart of palm is often being compared to that of the artichokes. Moreover, it is also often described as crunchy, mild, and light. The look of it is the same as the white asparagus. You can bake, sauté, blanch, marinate, or eat it directly out of the can.
Furthermore, the heat of palm is astoundingly versatile and is often used as a substitute for meat. This is good for vegetarians or vegans. In addition, it is also valuable for all of its properties that promote health. It is also rich in vitamin C, iron, manganese, protein, and fiber.
Nutritional Profile of Heart of Palm
The heart of palm is low in calories, yet high in manganese, fiber, and protein. Moreover, it also has a wide range of essential nutrients. Just like other canned foods, the heart of palm may also have high levels of sodium.
A cup of canned hearts of palm may contain about:
|Principles||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Dietary fiber||3.5 grams||–|
|Vitamin C||11.5 milligrams||19%|
Additionally, the heart of palm also has a small amount of pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, niacin, and riboflavin.
Health Benefits of Heart of Palm
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of heart of palm:
- Helps in boosting the immunity. since the hearts of palm is rich in essential vitamins and minerals essential for the immune system, it promotes better health.
- Helps in preventing anemia. 25% of daily iron need is present in a cup of heart of palm. This is essential in the prevention of anemia, and other conditions connected to iron-deficiency.
- Helps in stabilizing the blood sugar levels. The manganese and fiber content of the heart of palm is essential in maintaining the normal blood sugar levels of the body.
- Helps in supporting the bone health. There is an ample amount of manganese in the heart of palm, thus making it essential in supporting the bone health.
- Beneficial in losing weight. The high fiber and protein content of the heart of palm is essential in losing weight much faster. Studies show that the protein is essential in reducing the levels of ghrelin.
- Helps in promoting digestive health. The fiber in heart of palm is essential in the promotion of the digestive health. Since the vegetable is high in this nutrient, it is good for the betterment of digestion.
Precautions in Eating Heart of Palm
Even though it is not that common, some people have reported some allergic reactions after eating this vegetable. If you happen to experience any symptoms of food allergy, don’t continue with the consumption of the heart of palm,. And go to your doctor immediately.
In addition, the canned heart of palm may have high levels of sodium. In fact, it may provide a whopping 622 milligrams of sodium in every cup. If you happen to have high blood pressure or following a low-sodium diet, make sure to rinse the canned vegetable off in order to get rid of the excess salt in it.
Lastly, if you are going to purchase the canned variety of the heart of palm, select the BPA-fee can in order to minimize the exposure to some potential BPA toxic effects.