Jackfruit is a distinct tropical fruit, which has increased its own popularity in the recent years. This fruit has a distinctive sweet flavor and may be used in making a wide variety of culinary dishes. It is also very nutritious and possesses a lot of health benefits. These health benefits of jackfruit that I am talking about are all for the betterment of the health. If you want to know all of these and many other facts about this fruit, feel free to give this article a read! Worry less, because you will be learning a lot from this article –that is for a guarantee.
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is an exotic fruit that typically grows in various tropical regions of the world. Moreover, the fruit is native to the southern regions of the country of India. In the actual fact, the jackfruit is part of the Moraceae family of plant. This plant family includes the breadfruit, mulberry, and fig. furthermore, jackfruit has an outer skin that’s spiky and it’s yellow and green in color.
One of the most unique aspects of the jackfruit is its unusually large size. As a matter of fact, it is the largest tree fruit in the whole wide world that may reach up to a weight of 35 kilograms or 80 pounds.
Moreover, the jackfruit has its own subtle sweetness and fruity flavor. It’s also been said to have the same taste as bananas, mangoes, pineapples, and apples. Furthermore, vegetarians and vegans often use this particular fruit as a substitute for meat. This is due to its own texture that is similar to that of the shredded meat.
Furthermore, for the reason that the jackfruit has the capacity to withstand the tropical climates, it may be the main source of carbs and calories for those in the developing countries, most especially those who are at a high risk of undernourishment or starvation.
Even though jackfruit is usually grown in various tropical areas, it is now becoming more widely available in various parts of the world. This includes the United States. It is during summer that it bears fruit.
The most universally consumed part of the jackfruit is its own flesh, or what they call the fruit pods. These are edible in both unripe and ripe form. Moreover, it may be used in savory and sweet dishes, just like curries and desserts. The jackfruit seeds are also edible!
Nutritional Profile of Jackfruit
Jackfruit has an amazing nutrition profile. As a matter of fact, it has a moderate amount of calories in just one serving. About 92 percent of the calories are from the carbohydrates, while the reset is from the mall amount of fat and protein. Not just that, jackfruit also contains some of almost all the vitamins and minerals that the body needs. Refer to the table below to know more of its nutritional content.
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.64 grams||3%|
|Dietary Fiber||1.5 grams||4%|
|Vitamin A||110 IU||3.5%|
|Vitamin C||13.7 milligrams||23%|
|Vitamin E||0.34 milligrams||2%|
Health Benefits of Jackfruit
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of jackfruit:
- Helps in lowering the risk of heart disease. The jackfruit may be beneficial for the heart. The vitamin B6 in it are essential in reducing the homocysteine levels in the blood and keep the heart healthy.
- Helps in preventing night blindness. The jackfruit is good for the eyes. It has a good amount of vitamin A in it, which is beneficial in preventing night blindness.
- Helps in keeping the thyroid healthy. The copper content of jackfruit is essential for the thyroid metabolism, most especially for the hormone absorption and production. Moreover, the jackfruit is filled with copper and keep the metabolism rate healthier.
- Helps in regulating blood sugar levels. The high blood sugar level may be due to the deficiency of manganese in the body. The rich amount of it in the jackfruit is beneficial in regulating the blood sugar levels in the body.
- Helps in preventing colon cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of jackfruit. And this is due to the fruit’s high amount of dietary fats, which helps in cleansing the toxins in the colon. Thus reducing the toxin effects on the colon and gives further protection to it.
- Helps in maintaining blood pressure levels. The jackfruit has a potassium in it, which is beneficial in maintaining the sodium levels in the body. We know that the good levels of potassium in the body are essential in maintaining the fluid levels in order to balance the electrolyte.