Delicious and pulpy oranges have always been one of the most favorite fruits of all time. Oranges actually signify happiness and health. in actual fact, orange juice, tart, and the citrus fruit is a perfect fruit that you can eat on a dull morning. Not only that it is visually appealing and deliciously tasty, also the health benefits of orange are extremely enticing.
The color of the orange itself is already vibrant and inspiring. Furthermore, this fruit may also be a very important part of the diet. It may provide a wide variety of effect in the overall health. Not only that, it may also be used as a topical application for the skin. in a point of fact, many dermatologists suggest the use of this fruit in regiments for the skin.
Orange is the citrus fruit of the Citrus sinensis species, which is part of Rutaceae family. Furthermore, it is also known as the sweet orange, this is to differentiate it from the other type of orange which is the bitter orange. The sweet orange actually reproduces asexually. Furthermore, the varieties of which are done through the process of mutation. Orange is actually somewhat a hybrid of mandarin and pomelo. In fact, it has 75% of mandarin genes and 25% or the pomelo genes.
The orange trees are actually tropical to semitropical, small flowering, and is evergreen. Furthermore, it grows about 5-8 meters tall and may bear seasonal fruits, which may in diameter measure about 3 inches and has a weight of about 100 to 150 grams.
Oranges have been an essential to eating healthy for thousands and thousands of years. The fruit itself originated somewhere in Southeast Asia. The historical records or oranges are in fact, date back more than 4500 years ago in as far as China. Oranges are also one of the most popular citrus fruits. The oranges have a lot of benefits. Not only on the fruit itself but also its peel and juice.
Nutritional Facts of Orange
Here is the nutritional value of orange:
- Dietary fiber: 2.5 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
- Total fat: 0.30 grams
- Protein: 0.94 grams
- Carbohydrates: 11.89 grams
- Energy: 49 Kcal
- Vitamin A: 230 IU
- Vitamin C: 48.5 milligrams
- Thiamin: 0.087 milligrams
- Riboflavin: 0.040 milligrams
- Pyridoxine: 0.063 milligrams
- Pantothenic acid: 0.250 milligrams
- Niacin: 0.274 milligrams
- Folate: 39 µg
- Potassium: 179 milligrams
- Sodium: 0 milligram
- Zinc: 0.06 milligrams
- Manganese: 0.023 milligrams
- Magnesium: 10 milligrams
- Iron: 0.09 milligrams
- Copper: 39 µg
- Calcium: 40 milligrams
Health Benefits of Orange
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of orange:
- Skin: the antioxidant properties like vitamin of orange when eaten in natural form as well as applied topically may help in fighting any damage that is caused pollution and sun.
- Diabetes: the high fiber content of the orange is beneficial in treating diabetes type 1. Furthermore, it may also be beneficial in improving the blood sugar levels for diabetes 2 patients.
- Heart health: the vitamin C, choline, potassium, and fiber contents of orange are beneficial in supporting the heart health. Not only that it is beneficial in improving the heart health, it is also good for the reduction of the risk of stroke, protection against muscle mass loss, preservation of the bone mass density, and the reduction of the formation of the stones in the kidney.
- Cancer: this is probably one of the best health benefits of orange. The antioxidant vitamin of the orange is what makes it happen, the vitamin C. Furthermore, the high fiber content of the fruit is also helpful in lowering the risk of colorectal cancer.
- Blood pressure: oranges are beneficial in lowering the levels of blood pressure. This is since it has potassium and is low in sodium content.
- Stroke: there is a 19 percent reduction of the risk of stroke when you eat a high amount of citrus. However, this applies just to women who are at risk of ischemic stroke.
- Cholesterol: there is an ample amount of soluble fiber in orange, thus it is beneficial in lowering the levels of cholesterol in the body.
- Risk of diseases: the vitamin C content of orange helps in protecting the cells by neutralizing the free radicals. We know that these free radicals are the ones that cause chronic illnesses like heart disease and cancer.
- Vision: the carotenoid compound of the orange are beneficial for the betterment of the vision. This is because these compounds are converted into vitamin A. Moreover, it also helps in preventing the onset of macular degeneration.
Cautions for Orange
There are some insecticides that are sprayed on the orange crops. It is quite important to wash the oranges before eating. If you want, choose the organic oranges since they don’t contain any chemicals. If you are vulnerable to foodborne illnesses, you need to avoid drinking unpasteurized juice, which may contain harmful bacteria. Always check what you eat to avoid any complications.