Who wouldn’t love eating bananas? Because of its delicious taste that pleases our taste buds, many of us love eating it. But that is the yellow banana. What if a red banana is given to you, would you still eat it? Well, I tell you, you should! The red banana is a must try fruit because of the different incredible benefits that it may provide for the health. These health benefits of red banana are all staggering and are all for the betterment of the overall health. If you want to know all of these and more, feel free to give this article a read!
Red Banana: What is this?
Table of Contents
The red bananas are actually a group of banana varieties that have the reddish-purple color of skin. Furthermore, some of which are plumper and smaller than the most common variety of banana, the Cavendish banana, and others are much larger. When the raw red bananas get ripe, its flesh turns from cream color to light pink.
Moreover, the texture of the red bananas is also much sweeter and softer than the yellow varieties of Cavendish banana. There are also some that have slightly mango flavor, and while the others have an earthy flavor. Many of the red bananas are exported by some producers in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), South America, Asia, and East Africa. In fact, they are the favorite in Central America but are being sold all over the world.
If you are to look for red bananas, well, obviously, you must first look for a red color of skin. It should have a deep red or a maroon color. The best time to eat the red bananas is when it is slightly soft and when it is still unbruised. This is because it has more vitamin C and beta-carotene. Not just that, it also has more iron and potassium content.
The redder the color of the red banana, the more beta-carotene and are much higher in vitamin C. Furthermore, just like the yellow variety of banana, the red bananas will get ripe in just a few days in a room temperature. They are best stored outside the refrigeration.
The way of eating the red bananas are the same as the yellow bananas. Moreover, they are eaten raw, chopped or whole, more often. They may also be a good addition to various fruit salads and desserts. However, you may also bake, fry, or toast it.
Nutritional Facts of Red Bananas
140 grams or 1 serving of the red banana has:
|Nutrient||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total fat||0 gram||–|
|Trans fat||0 gram||–|
|Monounsaturated fat||0 gram||–|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0 gram||–|
|Saturated fat||0 gram||–|
|Total carbohydrates||35 milligrams||–|
|Dietary fiber||3 grams||–|
Recommended Intake and Usage of Red Bananas
You may eat red bananas straight when it is already ripe, just like the yellow bananas. You may also add it in desserts, juices, and in some smoothies. There are also some people who love to sprinkle it as a topping to salads. Some also prefer baking it in banana muffins. Regardless of the way you consume it, it’ll still bring the health benefits that you need. Just make sure that you consume the fruit in its ripe condition. This is since the taste of it is different from the raw form. It doesn’t taste as delicious as when it is ripe already. Always remember that you should not consume it in fermented form. This is since it may lose its benefits and may result in some dangerous bacteria in the body.
Health Benefits of Red Banana
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of red banana:
- Good for the eyes: the vital nutrients in the red banana are beneficial for the eyes. It does not just improve the vision, it also helps in making the eye health much better.
- Gives relief to stress: the potassium content of the red banana is essential in stabilizing the heartbeat and control the water stability of the body. Consuming this type of banana is a healthful method in rebalancing the potassium level in the body naturally.
- Good source of energy: the red bananas may convert the natural sugars into instant energy. In fact, if you give your children a daily dose of red banana during their breakfast, they may remain energized all throughout the day.
- Helps in improving the blood: the rich antioxidant and vitamins content of the red banana are beneficial in improving the number of hemoglobin, as well as the blood flow in the body.
- Helps in losing weight: there are fewer calories in the red banana in comparison with some other fruits. Therefore, it is essential in filling your stomach up without consuming too many.
- Helps prevent kidney stones: the potassium content of the red bananas are beneficial in preventing the formation of kidney stones, cancer, and even heart diseases. This is one of the best health benefits of red banana.