Do you know the hormones that are essential for the body? There are lots of hormones necessary in achieving a sound health. One of which is the serotonin. This particular hormone is known as the Feel Good Hormone of the body. Not just that, it is also beneficial for the health –yes, the health benefits of serotonin is so many! If you want to know this and more, feel free to give this article a read!
What is Serotonin?
Serotonin is a chemical, which has a lot of functions in the body. Sometimes, it is referred to as the happy chemical, as it contributes to the happiness and well-being of a person. Scientifically, it is the 5-hydroxytryptamine or the 5-HT. Mainly, it is found in the blood platelets, bowels, and in the brain.
Moreover, serotonin is used in transmitting a message between the nerve cells. Furthermore, it is also active in the construction of the smooth muscles in the body. Not just that, it also contributes to the well-being and happiness, among some other things. Since it is the precursor for the melatonin, it is beneficial in regulating the sleep-wake cycles of the body, as well as its internal clock.
Furthermore, serotonin is made through a biochemical conversion process, which combines the tryptophan –a component of proteins, as well as the tryptophan hydroxylase, which is a chemical reactor. These are what forms the serotonin.
Serotonin is also thought to play a certain role in the appetite, the motor functions, the emotions, as well as the autonomic and cognitive functions. Nevertheless, it is known exactly if the serotonin affects these unswervingly, or if the hormone has an overall role in the coordination of the nervous system.
Serotonin also plays an important role in the maintenance of the mood balance. The low serotonin levels have been related to that of experiencing depression.
In addition, since it occurs widely throughout the body, it is often believed to have an influence in a variety of psychological and body functions.
The serotonin has no capacity of crossing the blood-brain barrier, thus any serotonin that the brain uses should be produced just inside the brain.
Function of Serotonin
Since it is a neurotransmitter, the serotonin relays the signals in between the nerve cells, or the neurons. This is essential in regulating their intensity.
It is has a major role in the CNS or Central Nervous System, as well as in the general functioning of the body, and most especially in the GI or gastrointestinal tract. Moreover, studies have also found that there are links in between the hormone and cell division, liver regeneration, production of breast milk, as well as in bone metabolism.
Serotonin influences most of the brain cells in both direct and indirect manner.
- Sexual Function. The serotonin shows to inhibit sexual activity.
- Bone Density. Some researchers have connected the high levels of serotonin in the bones to a certain increase in the onset of osteoporosis.
- Eating something toxic may cause the gut to produce more serotonin. This increases the transit time and expels the irritant in diarrhea.
- The serotonin adds to the formation of the blood clots. The platelets are the ones that release it when there’s a wound.
- The serotonin impacts the levels of happiness, mood, and anxiety in the brain.
- Bowel function. Most of the serotonin in the body is in the gastrointestinal tract, thus regulating the bowel movements and functions.
Health Benefits of Serotonin
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of serotonin:
- Treats anxiety. The brain’s neurons are the only source of serotonin. They are essential in the maintenance of the levels of sleep, anxiety, appetite, energy, libido, and mood. Furthermore, serotonin also helps in the reduction of anxiety, which may lead to violent acts or even suicide.
- Mood Booster. The serotonin, in various ways, help in gaining proper sleep, thus, it is a natural booster for the mood. Furthermore, it also helps in maintaining a lot of essential functions in the body.
- Treats headaches. The serotonin is essential in giving instant relief from a continuous headache. In various cases, it is also beneficial in handling migraines.
- Treats insomnia. Having less serotonin in the body may cause various sleeping disorders in patients. During the day, you may experience chronic fatigue and at night, you might experience insomnia and some uncontrollable thoughts.
- Aids in relaxation. Since it is the Feel Good hormone, it is essential in making you feel more relaxed. The deficiency of this particular hormone may promote the feeling of illness, tiredness, sluggishness, and fatigue.
- Skin benefits. The serotonin may act as an antidepressant drug, which may help the skin to grow more naturally.
- Brain maturation. The most significant function of the serotonin is the development of the brain. Having few serotonin in the body may lead to Down’s syndrome or autism.
- Good for the heart. Serotonin is essential in reducing heart conditions. This is one of the best health benefits of serotonin.
There is no denying, serotonin really is a wonder hormone!