We often see mushrooms anywhere we go. They often pop out of the ground without even planting them. Some say that mushrooms are not safe to eat since they just show up without properly growing them. It is safe to say that yes, there are various types of mushrooms that are not safe to eat and are poisonous. However, there are some that are edible as well. many of the mushrooms are good sources of selenium, iron, vitamin C, as well as protein and more vitamins and minerals. One of the healthiest mushrooms in the whole world is the shiitake mushroom. The health benefits of shiitake mushroom are oozing and are all beneficial for the overall health. if you want to know the necessary information about the shiitake mushroom and more, feel free to read on to this article.
Shiitake Mushroom: What is this?
Table of Contents
The shiitake mushroom is actually a mushroom that is native to the country of China. Furthermore, it has been used in so many traditional medicines for more than 6000 years now. It is around in the late 1990’s that the scientists began discovering the substances in the shiitake mushroom is responsible for immune boosting and antioxidant benefits. Furthermore, shiitake mushrooms are also rich in minerals, dietary fibers, as well as essential vitamins.
Shiitake mushroom is also called the Chinese black mushroom and is scientifically known as Letinula edodes. This large golden to dark brown colored mushroom has an edible cap. Moreover, it is actually a popular mushroom for pasta, salads, as well as in soups. Not only that, t is also meaty and tasty that it, enough can be used as a primary ingredient in sandwiches. One interesting fact about shiitake mushroom is that if it is in a dried state, it may last in the freezer for up to six months. That’s awesome, isn’t it?
Shiitake mushroom is actually the third of the most widely disseminated all over the world. Furthermore, most people eat shiitake mushroom dried, cooked, or even raw. Thus making it a versatile food that you can use for various meals.
Shiitake Mushroom: Nutritional Value
The nutritional value of the shiitake mushroom actually improves in the process of drying. One example of which is its vitamin D content, this increases from 4 IU (raw mushroom) to a stunning 26 IU when it is dried. Furthermore, some of the sources also state that the shiitake is also beneficial in providing about 19 percent of iron’s daily value and about 10 percent of vitamin C’s daily value. Same goes with the fiber and protein which also has 10 percent of the daily values. Even though these values are quite accurate, they are actually based on the 226 grams of the shiitake mushrooms. A generous size of four shiitake mushrooms actually weights just 15 grams.
On the other hand, one serving of the shiitake mushroom has 4% of total carbohydrate’s daily value, 3% of protein’s daily value, 7% of dietary fiber’s daily value and 44 calories. All of these nutritional values are what forms the health benefits of shiitake mushroom
Health benefits of Shiitake Mushroom
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of shiitake mushroom:
- Helps in lowering the blood pressure. The eritadenine in the shiitake mushroom is beneficial in preventing the construction of the blood vessels. Thus lowering the blood pressure. This is essential for those who have a high risk of having cardiovascular diseases like atherosclerosis, strokes, as well as heart attacks.
- Helps in lowering cholesterol levels. Various compounds in the shiitake mushroom are capable of inhibiting the production of cholesterol in the liver, thus preventing the plaque buildup on the arterial and the blood vessel walls.
- Helps in the growth and repair. Apart form the vitamin C, another crucial component of the collagen is copper which is present in shiitake mushroom. Collage as necessary for the creation of the body tissues, the skin, blood vessels, as well as the bones and muscles. In fact, shiitake mushroom is the 4th of the most copper-dense foods available in the market.
- Helps in boosting the immunity. The various antioxidants in the shiitake mushrooms together with the vitamin C content of it, are beneficial in boosting the immunity. Furthermore, it also helps in improving the efficacy of the immune system and speeds up the response time of it.
- Helps in reducing stress. There are ample amount of antioxidants in the shiitake mushroom. Furthermore, these are beneficial in seeking out and naturalizing the free radicals before they can cause any chronic disease, and any other complications.
- Helps in boosting the overall energy. This is one of the best health benefits of shiitake mushroom. The B vitamins in the shiitake mushroom are beneficial in the metabolism and in the energy production.
- Helps in improving digestion. The antimicrobial properties of the shiitake mushroom are essential in boosting the immunity, thus making them ideal for the digestion.
Furthermore, eating a moderate amount of shiitake mushroom is beneficial for the health. However, just like any other foods, eating excessive amounts of it may cause some side effects. So, if you want a unique food for the betterment of your health, choose shiitake mushroom.