Would you believe me if I tell you that there is a fruit, which can be beneficial for the eyes, may treat infections, and show some potentials in treating cancer as well? Are you interested to know it? If you answered these questions, yes, then let me introduce you to the awesome soursop. This fruit is not really known to some regions all over the world. However, it has some amazing qualities that may turn you to love it dearly. The health benefits of soursop, furthermore, are extravagant and are all for the betterment of the overall health. If you want to know these and more, feel free to read on to this article.
What is Soursop?
Table of Contents
Soursop is a fruit that is common to warm areas in tropical regions, just like in South America. Furthermore, soursop is very famous in the regions of Caribbean and Mexico. This is since it is a flowering, broad-leaved, an evergreen tree, which you may see in on the way if you are going to visit most of the countries in the regions of South America.
Soursop is also a cultivar is the countries of Malaysia, Indonesia, as well as in some other parts of Southeast Asia. Hence, it may be able to grow well in the countries of Florida and Africa too. The taste of soursop fruit is actually as sour as the pineapple and strawberry, yet its flesh is as creamy as cocoa and banana. Furthermore, it has also been proved that the health benefits of soursop are true by all means. Whether it is its flower, seed, root, stem, leaf, or fruit, soursop is beneficial.
As stated above, soursop is widely cultivated and is common in the regions of Florida, and Southeast Asia. However, it is commonly grown just for an individual consumption and is just a garden fruit. Furthermore, soursop is the only type of Annona, and is one of the largest too, with a lot of different uses.
The soft fiber and pulp of the soursop fruit are actually used for candies, smoothies, desserts, and beverages. Not only that, it is also used in wide array of medicines all over the world. Although the flavor of the fruit is already enough to make it popular, its rich content of vitamins like vitamin B and vitamin C, and various antioxidant compounds makes it even more famous to many health enthusiasts.
Nutritional Value of Soursop
Here are the nutritional facts of the soursop fruit:
- Fat: 3 grams. Yes, soursop has a small amount of fat, thus making kit an effective addition to the diet.
- Carbohydrates:84 grams. This is actually the main content of the fruit, which produces energy for the day-to-day activities.
- Minerals: soursop contains Phosphorus and Calcium. On a hundred gram of soursop, there are about 14 milligrams of phosphorus and 27 milligrams of calcium.
- Vitamin C:6 milligrams. This essential vitamin is very important in preventing various diseases.
Soursop: What does it do for the body?
This amazing fruit has a lot of phytonutrients, which are capable of fighting cells that cause diseases. Not only that, it can also get rid of various types of tumors. All of these phytonutrients have antioxidant properties, which enhance the overall health. Moreover, they help in preventing and fighting off cancer, enhance or improve the eye health, and treat a wide array of infections that may attack the body anytime.
Health Benefits of Soursop
Here are the most amazing health benefits of soursop:
- Helps in boosting the immunity: study suggests that consumption of soursop may enhance the immunity. This may be because of the bioactive compounds present in the fruit.
- Helps in enhancing the gastrointestinal health: the antiulcer properties of soursop is amazing. Furthermore, the fruit itself suppresses oxidative damages and helps preserve the mucus in the gastric wall.
- Helps in relieving stress: reports state that the fruit can be beneficial in extensively treating stress and some other issues like depression.
- Help improve the respiratory health: a Nigerian study suggests that the efficacy of the leaves of soursop is beneficial in treating respiratory conditions, just like asthma.
- Helps boost the liver and kidney health: the soursop extract area beneficial in treating illnesses in the kidney and in the liver. This is what a certain Malaysian study suggests.
- Helps in diabetes treatments: the anti-diabetic properties of soursop is what makes it beneficial in treating conditions like diabetes. Furthermore, the aqueous extract of the soursop leaves is effective to prevent and inhibit the hepatic oxidative damage that is caused in diabetic patients.
- Helps in treating infections: soursop are beneficial in treating infections that are various parasites and bacteria. The soursop leaves are also beneficial in treating a wide array of infections.
- Helps in getting rid of cancer: although there are no direct studies about it yet for humans, some believe that the soursop extracts have the capabilities of killing various types of cancer, just like the liver and breast cancer.
Truly, soursop is an amazing fruit, so the next time you want to try new food, try soursop! It’s not just tasty, it’s full of amazing health benefits as well.