Based on various surveys steered by the Center for Disease Control, there is only 27% of Americans get more than three servings of vegetables every day. Furthermore, most of us know by now that we must eat fresh fruits and vegetables each day in abundance. This is for the optimal health as well as in detoxification. Nevertheless, for some people, this is not as easy as it might seem. Even though it is not meant to replace eating fresh fruits and vegetables, the health benefits of wheatgrass may provide a lot of antioxidants as well as some other essential nutrients. Take note, all of these in just a small glass. If you want to know more about the wheatgrass, feel free to give this article a read!
Wheatgrass: What is this?
In the actual fact, wheatgrass is the young grass of the Triticum aestivum or the wheat plant. This particular edible grass is either milled into fine greed powder or juiced into wheatgrass shot. The powder form of the wheatgrass is actually beneficial in making a various multipurpose product for both animals and humans.
Moreover, the wheatgrass is consumable on its own, or be used in combination with some other juices or supplements. As a matter of fact, it is now referred to as a superfood. Various forms of the wheatgrass, which are now becoming more widely available include:
You may ask, which type is the best? Well, the best way of consuming all foods is as close to their own natural state if possible. In the case of the wheatgrass, this means that drinking it in the juice form, may be more preferable rather than consuming it in tablets or powder form. Moreover, you may either visit a shop that vends fresh wheatgrass shots, or you may try to make one on your own.
If you can’t find any wheatgrass on the market, buying wheatgrass powder can be a good option. Further, if the convenience is what you really are after, then the pure, high-quality wheatgrass tablets may be essential too.
Nutritional Facts of Wheatgrass
Some experts claim that the wheatgrass has over 100 different elements necessary for a man to live. One of the most important and most noticeable nutrients in it is the chlorophyll.
The chlorophyll us the substance, which gives the wheatgrass its own signature, and bright green color. Just like any other nutrient-dense greens, it is beneficial for the human body, especially for some bodily functions or processes. As a matter of fact, chlorophyll is a natural liver cleanser and a detoxifier. It also acts as an antioxidant, which is essential in reducing the damages caused by free radicals. Additionally, it is also a blood strengthener and may help in giving a boost to the energy.
Nevertheless, chlorophyll is not really all that the wheatgrass has to offer. The health benefits of wheatgrass may also include being rich in amino acids. These are enzymes that are necessary for digestion, and many other vitamins and minerals. These are necessary for living without the worry of any diseases.
Moreover, wheatgrass is rich in the following nutrients:
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Amino acids
- Electrolytes like calcium and magnesium
- Vitamin A
- Antioxidants like phenolic acid and flavonoids
Health Benefits of Wheatgrass
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of wheatgrass:
- Helps in lowering the levels of triglycerides and cholesterol. Studies suggest that the wheatgrass is a medicinal plant essential for the heart and the blood vessels. It may also be effective in treating hyperlipidemia. Furthermore, another study said that the effects of wheatgrass being given to rabbits help induce the hyperlipidemia.
- Helps in raising the immunity and protection against cancer. Studies show that the wheatgrass has the potential for preventing cancer and that it does this through the apoptosis mechanism. Based on a research, wheatgrass may be effective in the holistic cancer treatment programs, as well as in cancer prevention. The overall benefits of it in the immunity include the regulation of the immunological activity and fighting the oxidative stress, which may contribute to the cell mutations.
- Helps in lowering the free radical damage in the body. The health benefits of wheatgrass include having a strong antioxidant capacity and may also lower the free radicals and oxidation damage, which may cause aging and contribute to the formation of disease. Moreover, studies also suggest that the wheatgrass may inhibit the lipid peroxidation in the liver and protect the mitochondria within the cells significantly. This is particularly tied to the reduced inflammation levels. As well as in lowering the risk of various illnesses like heart disease, liver disease, and cancer.
- Helps in alkalizing the body and boosting the nutrient absorption. The wheatgrass is capable of providing important alkalizing benefits for the body, alongside the increase in the absorption of nutrients like vitamin E, vitamin C, and electrolytes. If you want to prevent cancer as well as other chronic conditions, create an alkaline environment!
Use the wheatgrass to improve your health!