Imagine a world that does not completely reach you, and in return, you cannot always react. For many people who have autism, this is an existing problem that happens between their world and the reality separate from them. autism is an illness that actually affects 1 in every 63 children. This condition is a serious one. The life of a person with this condition is long-term, this may affect the life of the patient forever. Hence, it is just right to have enough understanding of the causes, symptoms, as well as the treatments for autism. If you want to know all of these and more, feel free to read on to this article.
The ASD or Autism Spectrum Disorder or autism is a disability that lasts a lifetime. This disability may manifest in a completely different way based on where a certain person sits on the range of the condition. People with autism may have distress in interpreting some social cues or manners of speaking. Furthermore, many people with autism are intelligent and high-functioning people.
Autism is a very complex condition that usually appears itself from birth. This is the reason why parents commonly get aware of the condition within the first years of the baby’s life. Since it is the time where a child’s personality begins to develop. Furthermore, it is commonly identified by the unusual social behavior, communication difficulties, low interaction skills, and repetitive or compulsive behavior.
For so many years, the cause of autism has been such a widely debated topic. This is why it can be a difficult thing to suggest some preventive therapies for the condition. However, autism is highly hereditary, even though some environmental factors may also show some impact on the onset of autism.
There actually is no medicinal cure or formal treatments for autism. This is even though there are many advances in the behavioral therapy to help those who suffer from the illness and get past this condition. in the past, the label of autism is much narrower actually. In fact, it now falls under the autism spectrum disorder. This is also the spectrum where the Asperger’s syndrome is included. Even though there are some similarities with these conditions, there still are some distinct differences as well as the levels of severity.
Causes of Autism
The condition as stated earlier is mainly hereditary. And because it runs in the family, most of the researchers think that certain mixtures of the genes may prompt a child to acquire autism. However, there are also some environmental factors that may increase the risk of developing the condition.
Studies suggest that some people have a genetic susceptibility to autism. This means that a vulnerability to develop the condition may pass from parents to children. Furthermore, researchers are also looking for some clues on which genes really contribute to the increase of vulnerability.
Symptoms of Autism
The signs and symptoms of autism usually appear before a child reaches three and this may last a lifetime. The most common symptoms of autism include:
- Preoccupation with unusual objects or parts of objects
- Repetitive body movements
- Difficulty in adjusting to some changes in routines or familiar surroundings
- Lack of imagination
- Uncommon ways of playing toys and some other objects
- Inability making friends and prefers to play alone
- Difficulty in social interaction includes relating to some people and surroundings
- Having a difficulty in nonverbal communication like facial expressions and gestures
- Inability to partake in a particular conversation
- Difficulty with the verbal communication, including the problems that are related to understanding and using the language
Treatments for Autism
When you go to a pediatrician, they will commonly refer you to a child specialist in the developmental disorders for the initial assessment of the condition. Some people may prefer to have this specialist to treat the condition. However, they are free to seek any treatments for autism elsewhere.
Facts and options about the treatments for autism:
- Ask your family members, health practitioners, as well as your friends to acquire referrals.
- You might need to talk to more than one specialist to be able to find one who’s more trustworthy.
- Remember that there is no standard treatment for autism. Furthermore, different professionals have varying practices and philosophies in taking care of their patients.
If you are not sure as to what treatment will be beneficial for the condition, you may try the home treatments for it. these home treatments include:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Anti-parasitic and antibacterial
- Gluten-free and sugar-free foods
- Fish oil
- Magnesium supplements
Always bear in mind that the condition is for a lifetime. Hence, you must just take care of your child or the person with autism, give him or her the special attention he or she needs than to provide them medications or treatments that you aren’t really sure.