Are you familiar with tangerine? Have you seen or tried tasting one before? Well, tangerine is so much like the oranges. In fact, it is a certain variant of the Mandarin orange, which is more of like, reddish-orange in color. Aside from they are so delicious, they are also good for the overall health. Tangerines possess a lot of essential nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals. These are all what make up the amazing health benefits of tangerine. If you want to know more about this citrus fruit, give this article a read.
Tangerine: What is this?
As what we have said earlier, the tangerine is a certain variant of the Mandarin orange. Scientifically, they call it the Citrus Reticulate. It is reddish-orange in color. Furthermore, it belongs to the Rutaceae plant family, and cultivated primarily in the tropical forests of various Southeast Asian provinces. The tangerine fruit trees are way smaller than the orange fruit trees. Moreover, the fruit has a unique deep orange color and has a flat shape. It may be peeled effortlessly and is a nutrient-wise, fibrous fruit.
The juicy segments of the tangerine have some hybrid varieties too. This includes the Clementines, Tangors, and Tangelos.
- These are a hybrid in between the sweet oranges and the mandarin orange. They are way smaller, have glossy, smooth, skin, and has a very sweet taste.
- These are a cross between the tangerine and the orange. It features large size and sweet tart-flavor that is quite similar to that of the oranges.
- These are a hybrid of the orange or grapefruit and tangerine. The tangelos, like the tangerine, have loose skin and juicy sweet flavored segments. They differ from oranges, especially with their characteristic knob at the end of the term of the fruit.
Furthermore, in the northern hemisphere, the peak season of tangerine starts from October and may last up until April. Moreover, the fruit is known for its amazingly fresh and citrus taste. It also has low calorie and high profile of nutrients.
The vitamins in it is the best among all of its class. Not just that, tangerines are also rich sources of beta-carotene, folate, and vitamin C. The taste of the tangerine is also stronger than the orange. It is not that sour, and is sweeter.
Nutritional Profile of Tangerine
Just like the oranges, the tangerine is also low in calories content. However, they are a good source of flavonoid antioxidants like the lutein, xanthins, carotenes, vitamin A, hesperetin, naringenin, etc. As a matter of fact, a lot higher than in the oranges.
Furthermore, the citrus fruits are also rich in vitamin C, a water-soluble vitamin. The vitamin C is one of the most powerful antioxidants that play an important role in the synthesis of collagen, wound healing, anti-cancer activity, antiviral, and help in the prevention of various neurodegenerative conditions.
Here is what’s in 100 gram-serving of tangerine:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.31 grams||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||1.8 grams||5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.216 milligrams||4%|
|Vitamin C||26.7 milligrams||44%|
|Vitamin A||681 IU||23%|
|Vitamin E||0.20 milligrams||1%|
|Vitamin K||0 micrograms||0%|
Health Benefits of Tangerine
Here are some of the most shocking health benefits of tangerine:
- Aids in digestion. The essential oil that comes from the tangerine is beneficial as a digestive agent. Since it is a tonic, it can stimulate digestion. Furthermore, its digestive properties make the tangerine essential oil good for the stomach.
- Acts as a tonic. Tangerine, being a tonic makes it essential in fortifying and toning the bodily functions. The tangerine essential oil is a very effective tonic and is beneficial in stimulating the metabolic activity, induce the digestion, and promote the nutrient absorption of the liver.
- Enhances the cell division. The tangerine is beneficial in boosting the cellular production as well as enhance the cell division. It also helps in stimulating the growth of new cells. Remember, the boosted cell production not just promote the general growth, but it also helps in repairing the regular wear and tear of the body.
- Helps in treating sepsis. Sepsis, as we know is a feared infection, which may lead to swelling, reddened wounds, acute pain, etc. The tangerine essential oil is beneficial in eliminating the bacteria that cause sepsis.
- Helps in improving digestion and prevent chronic illnesses. The dietary fiber in the tangerine is beneficial in improving the digestion, which is also good for the overall function of the body.
- Helps in restricting cholesterol absorption. The tangerine has fibers like hemicellulose and pectin, which are beneficial in restricting cholesterol absorption in the gut that cuts the risk of obesity.
- Helps in fighting skin conditions and arthritis. The tangerine fruit is beneficial in treating various conditions as they can effectively beat arthritis and skin conditions. This is one of the best health benefits of tangerine fruit.