Do you know what is the devil’s claw? Don’t get me wrong, I am not talking about any fictional characters here. I am talking about a claw plant, which possesses various benefits for the health. Not just that, the health benefits of devil’s claw are all essential for the betterment of the health. If you want to know all of these and more, feel free to give this article a read. Worry less, because you will learn a lot here! So sit back, relax, and enjoy the read!
What is Devil’s Claw?
Table of Contents
Put simply, devil’s claw is an herb. Botanically, they call this herb as Harpagophytum. In Greek, this term means ‘hook plant’. In the actual fact, the name of it comes from the appearance of its fruit, which is actually covered with hooks. These hooks are essentially meant to attach on various animals to be able to spread the seeds. Moreover, the tubers and the roots of the plant are used in making medicine.
The root gas a lot of folk names, including harpago, wood spider, and grapple plant. All of these creative monikers refer to the small hooks on the plant.
The exact origin of the devil’s claw is not that known. This is even though it is native to the southern part of Africa and is originally found in Zimbabwe, Madagascar, Zambia, South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia. It was first used medicinally in various regions in Europe. In the actual fact, in 1953, they use the root in treating seasonal allergies, appetite problems, bladder issues, kidney conditions, liver problems, as well as arthritis.
Moreover, the devil’s claw is beneficial for atherosclerosis or the hardening of the arteries. It is also valuable for a migraine headache, fever, heartburn, gastrointestinal upset, chest pain, tendonitis, fibromyalgia, back pain, muscle pain, gout, and arthritis. Not just that, it is also beneficial for bladder and kidney disease, loss of appetite, allergic reactions, menstrual problems, and childbirth difficulties.
Health Benefits of Devil’s Claw
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of devil’s claw:
· Aids the kidney health. The extract of the devil’s claw may be beneficial in suppressing the formation of nitrites as its antioxidants has an effect on the glomerular inflammatory conditions.
· Rich antioxidant properties. The ample amount of antioxidants in the devil’s claw is beneficial in preventing various diseases. According to a study, the devil’s claw is rich in water-soluble antioxidants.
· Helps in fighting chronic inflammation. Current studies suggest that the devil’s claw is essential in inhibiting inflammation. This is very important as the chronic inflammation may lead to a variety of conditions.
· Natural painkiller. A study suggests that the devil’s claw extract helps relieve chronic back pain and improve the mobility in patients. Not just that, there are also no side effects experienced.
· Might help in losing weight. A study in Ireland study in Ireland states that the devil’s claw may help in stopping or slowing down the production of ghlerin. Through the reduction of the hunger pangs, those who have overeating issues may find their appetites at a level that is close to an average, thus aiding their own weight loss.
· May provide relief for arthritis. A study suggests that the consumption of devil’s claw helps in significantly reducing pain in the hand back, knee, hip, shoulder, and elbow. Furthermore, the very same study also shows that the quality of life is improved for most of the patients.
Possible Risks of Taking Devil’s Claw
Even though it is for a certain that devil’s claw can be beneficial for the health, you should be cautious in taking it. It is very important that you talk to your doctor before you take it. This is for the reason that it could interact with some of your medications, including the medications changed buy our liver. This is because the devil’s claw may slow down the breakdown of the substances in the liver. After all, your health is more important than anything else.
Effectiveness and Uses of Devil’s Claw
It is possible that the devil’s claw is effective for:
- Osteoarthritis: taking the herb may seem to be beneficial in decreasing the pain that comes with osteoarthritis. Not just that, those who take this herb may also help in lowering the dose of NSAIDs sufferers need to get pain relief.
- Back pain: consuming a devil’s claw through the mouth seems to decrease the lower back pain. Furthermore, it also seems to work just like some other NSAIDs.
There is no doubt that the devil’s claw is essential for the overall health and treatment for various conditions. Nonetheless, it is still important to ask for a specialists’ assistance before taking it, as it may cause some interaction. Furthermore, it is significant to make sure what you are taking is safe. just like what I said earlier, health is more significant than anything else.